• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Reverb

Share/Bookmark

Reverb

I'm having some trouble figuring out how to get reverb that sounds true-to-life. I use the Garritan Reverb which is included in GPO. Most of the time, though, the music ends up being too dry or too "muddy". I write full orchestral music, but I can't seem to find a reverb setting that gives it the atmosphere that you would hear on, say, a soundtrack CD. I was just wondering what kind of settings some of you use in your music. Thanks.

Re: Reverb

im also interested in this, some people have talked about the SIR reverb, what would be interesting with either the garritan ambience or others is if people could explain with more detail the settings they use, how much reverb they apply, do they apply same to all instruments or different for each section , etc, etc, etc,
    thanks lots

Quote Originally Posted by mscmixer
    I'm having some trouble figuring out how to get reverb that sounds true-to-life. I use the Garritan Reverb which is included in GPO. Most of the time, though, the music ends up being too dry or too "muddy". I write full orchestral music, but I can't seem to find a reverb setting that gives it the atmosphere that you would hear on, say, a soundtrack CD. I was just wondering what kind of settings some of you use in your music. Thanks.

You could always place an EQ before the reverb and either increase mid and high frequencies a little, or reduce the low end. This will radically change the way the reverb sounds..... try it.

dpDan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    You could always place an EQ before the reverb and either increase mid and high frequencies a little, or reduce the low end. This will radically change the way the reverb sounds..... try it.

dpDan
    On this subject, are there any good primers/tutorials on reverb,EQ, etc. I have just started using GPO, and I like the Ambience options - but I really haven't a clue as to whatthe various knobs mean/do. It's kind of fun to play around with them, but it would be great if there was some kind of basic guide.

R. Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    On this subject, are there any good primers/tutorials on reverb,EQ, etc. I have just started using GPO, and I like the Ambience options - but I really haven't a clue as to whatthe various knobs mean/do. It's kind of fun to play around with them, but it would be great if there was some kind of basic guide.

R. Pearl
    Maybe if we beg nicely to that guy, something-or-other Dan, who just posted above, he might just do one.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Maybe if we beg nicely to that guy, something-or-other Dan, who just posted above, he might just do one.

Karl
    stay tuned, don't touch that dial

Dan Kury has just written an Audio Mixing Tutorial which has a section on reverb.

http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/AudioMixing.htm

Dan covers the basics on different types of reverb, reverb settings, aux sends, amount of reverb to apply, whether to use different reverbs for different instruments, and more.

This tutorial is an excellent guide to getting started in mixing and applying reverb.

Gary Garritan

Wow, I must be psychic.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Wow, I must be psychic.

Karl

you are

wanna say thank u for this, this is the very tutorial I was waiting for, thank u so much for the effort, its an extraordinary tutorial, I loved it all around and I just wish for more and more detail,another one in the future please ))

I just have one question,

this phrase was very helpful to me:
    In orchestral music, I recommend using some reverb on all the instruments, but not necessarily the same amount. I recommend a reasonable amount on strings, slightly more on woodwinds, and considerably more on brass and percussion. This will create that concert hall effect and provide a nice real sounding environment for your music

I just have one question, for example I use nuendo and I have configured the ambience reverb as a send for each channel, and so I can set the amount sent from minus infinite until 6 (all the range of the send in the mixer goes from -infinite till +6 ) , so I dont know if this is similar in all sequencers, but could u give us an idea of what amount we would consider big , medium and small, like for strings you could send -1 , for winds +1 and for percussion + 3 , or something like that, I just dont know how do I know what is a reasonable amount , what is slightly more and what is considerable more cause I just dont know how much is in this huge scale that goes from -infinit till +6, I dont know how much is each, yes I can listen by myself but Im not an expert and I want experts to tell me what would be similar to the real thing, so your phrase helped me a lot, now I only know somebody to tell me that a reasonable amount, slightly more and considerable more actually equal more or less , roughly to these numbers a, b, and c in the sends range of the mixer of the sequencer (within the range -infinit to +6)

thank u again for such a wonderful tutorial, it made my day

Javi

Go Back to forum