• Register
  • Help

Topic: Free orchestral .wav's and mp3's

Share/Bookmark

Free orchestral mp3's and a few 16 bit wav's

This won't appeal to those of you with the big orchestral sample sets, but here's a link to a link for a new set of free single note Orchestral Samples. Most of these are mp3's. The recorded passages (as opposed to single notes) are
    16 bit .wav files. (I'm including the original link to KVR just so people can see the discussion and a direct link to the sample directory. Look at the main site first, though. Would have been great if these were all .wav files.):

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83903

Re: Free orchestral mp3's and a few 16 bit wav's

Hmm, wow, that is a TON of content! Even clarinet flutter tounges! It's obvious someone recorded these for a sample library... note the countless "interval" takes... riffs designed to interlock. For a legato tool a'la VSL, maybe? half and whole step trills too, etc. I'm suspicious about what these are REALLY for? It seems odd to distribute them in awful low bitrate mp3 form, unless they were planning on selling them or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    This won't appeal to those of you with the big orchestral sample sets, but here's a link to a link for a new set of free single note Orchestral Samples. Most of these are mp3's. The recorded passages (as opposed to single notes) are
    16 bit .wav files. (I'm including the original link to KVR just so people can see the discussion and a direct link to the sample directory. Look at the main site first, though. Would have been great if these were all .wav files.):

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83903

Re: Free orchestral .wav's and mp3's

Thanks for the link.

I'm downloading ALL of the samples as I write this, and no, I'm not manually downloading them one at a time. Ah, the beauty of a single UNIX command (wget) that saves hours of time....

Their web interface is a twisted sick joke! You would be downloading until the end of time if you didn't just call up the directory list.

I'm downloading all of them too, not a big hassle since they are all tiny mp3's. I wonder if we should start assembling them into playable instruments, or should we even bother when the bitrate is so low? The horn is passable at 84 but the clarinet is much lower, and sounds pretty artifacted.

Did you check out those killer xylophone glissandos? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by habibbijan
    Thanks for the link.

I'm downloading ALL of the samples as I write this, and no, I'm not manually downloading them one at a time. Ah, the beauty of a single UNIX command (wget) that saves hours of time....

Yeah, I have also wondered whether or not it would be worthwhile to go to the effort of putting together playable instruments...
    Even downloading from the directory is a pain since there are so many files... if they really wanted people to look at these, they should have put them into organized zip files per instrument per articulation... I imagine it would have been easier for them as well rather than having to upload all these seperate files.
    A shame there aren't any ensemble strings - but the chords for solo strings are not bad.

Maybe if a group of us worked together to reduce the irritation factor?

It's really not a big deal, just use something like Net Transport's browse feature, and tag every sample (well over 1,000 per instrument! jeeze!) then let it rip until you have em all.

The samples themselves have a lot of character and are rather consistent on attacks and so on, they would sound great assembled, but it just seems crazy to go looping all these low-bitrate samples! Give us the 'wavs, dammit! Or at least some 128bps mp3s!

I dunno, some of these are so good I'm tempted to just use em anyway. Under some verb and in a mix with high fidelity samples it might work.

Dig all those woodwind crescendo samples!

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    Yeah, I have also wondered whether or not it would be worthwhile to go to the effort of putting together playable instruments...
    Even downloading from the directory is a pain since there are so many files... if they really wanted people to look at these, they should have put them into organized zip files per instrument per articulation... I imagine it would have been easier for them as well rather than having to upload all these seperate files.
    A shame there aren't any ensemble strings - but the chords for solo strings are not bad.

Maybe if a group of us worked together to reduce the irritation factor?

Yeah, there's some great stuff in there. I suspect the problem is space--with so many samples to maintain while keeping the bandwidth open, they chose to use the format that allow the most compression. Anyone have room to host the samples?

Go Back to forum