• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gary! I got a million-dollar idea for you!

Share/Bookmark

Gary! I got a million-dollar idea for you!

You were looking at ideas for different instrument sets? If I hadn't mentioned it before:

Concert band! (or Wind Ensemble if you prefer)
    Mostly the orchestra minus all strings and add saxes.

There's so much paper music written for typical school bands, it would really allow those composers to hear their work as they write it!

Eh? Whaddaya say? Eh? [nudge] Eh? Eh?
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Re: Gary! I got a million-dollar idea for you!

Thanks for the suggestion. Already being worked on

Gary Garritan

Bah! So much for my 60% cut!

It's called Big Band & Jazz collection...it's coming out this year I believe. Keep your eyes peeled.

There's also GPO Advanced coming out.

I suppose the BB&J does cover the same territory doesn't it?

(Me sounding like a broken record)

The saxes in the Big band library will not work for symphonic band music. The tone is completely different.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    (Me sounding like a broken record)

The saxes in the Big band library will not work for symphonic band music. The tone is completely different.
    As I keep hearing those comments over the saxes sounding different in the big band library: What about the brass instruments? These also produce quite different sounds in jazz and jazz related music! And I´m not talking about those cliché shakes and slurs etc., even a simple note differs enormously (e.g. in the attack phase, and how the note is ended)!
    But, as I am talking, I´m sure Gary will take care of this....

None of the big band instruments would be usable in classical scores unless it is 'Pops' music. Not only is the tone different, but the articulations are dramatically different.
    Gary's statement above gives me a slight, slight glimmer of hope for classical tone saxes in the GPO advanced library. Because when I get my doctorate, I intend to write a LOT of Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble music. It is really the second best source of income for composers because of all of the bands at high school and college level looking for new music. It is also wise to write chamber music for baritones, euphoniums, and saxophones so they don't have to play transcriptions of other instrument's music. That way pieces can be tailored to the specific instrument's strengths and weaknesses.

Here's hoping.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

I'd also suggest a Brass Band version with cornets and tenor and bari horns and the lot, but I suspect that's covered, too.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    It is also wise to write chamber music for baritones, euphoniums, and saxophones so they don't have to play transcriptions of other instrument's music. That way pieces can be tailored to the specific instrument's strengths and weaknesses.
    A bit OT, but....
    I see what you mean. I'm a bassoonist (not that great of one) and am learning a concerto transcribed from clarinet. The dynamic capabilities are completely different. The clarinet can't play as soft in its upper register--the bassoon can. The clarinet can play whisper soft in it's lower register--the bassoon can't! It's very frusterating to have a pp low Bb-low F. Anywhere above there is good for all dynamics.

-Chris

Go Back to forum