• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3/Win2k?

Share/Bookmark

GS3/Win2k?

I recently got GS3 and tried installing it on my computer. I first tried one of my slave machines, and it seemed to work okay. I decided to try it out on my main DAW. I installed it, and clicked the GS3 executable file and the computer just rebooted on its own. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling, and it does the same thing.

All of my computers run Win2k - I wonder if this has anything to do with it? It would be weird if it did since my slave ran it.

Anybody else encounter these problems?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: GS3/Win2k?

Did you update the GS3 to the latest version?

It's not certified or tested to run on W2k, so you may have just gotten lucky on the one machine.

Well that kind of complicates things don't it? ::

Also, did you perform all the steps in the Tascam optimization guide?

http://www.tascamgiga.com/TASCAMGiga...imization.html

Also, you should be running version GS 3.04

I haven't heard of anybody having problems with GS3 on W2k. I think that Tascam just hasn't been testing on W2k machines to save development costs. And to play it safe, they don't include W2k as a recommended platform.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I haven't heard of anybody having problems with GS3 on W2k. I think that Tascam just hasn't been testing on W2k machines to save development costs. And to play it safe, they don't include W2k as a recommended platform.

-JF
    I did. Went to XP and had no problems.

I guess I better think about XP then eh? The one thing that is making me chafe is that the OS takes up a nice chunk of memory from what I've heard... Also having to buy it for three machines also makes for some chafage.

I have recently gone to XP from 2k and have found if you turn off all the unneeded services and eyecandy, XP is not much more memory-hungry than 2k.

And if you have 1GB or more in your machines, several extra MB or two won't matter very much anyway.
    Look at XP as a less-buggy version of 2k.

The only thing I miss about 2k is it was much easier to set permissions on files, directories and registry entries to allow access to low-priveliged users.
    Doing the same thing in XP SP2 requires being an expert in Group Policies.

Finally, if you are worried about the cost, you can find plenty of cheap OEM versions of XP Pro on ebay.

I installed it on two machines with windows 2000 and it worked fine. Just so everyone will know, it is only now installed on *one* computer. I only used my older computer to see how it would work as the newer had some problems. To sum up: all is well.

Go Back to forum