• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Samples and their use in music libraries

Share/Bookmark

Samples and their use in music libraries

The idea of licensing tracks to music libraries has never appealed to me. But a friend of mine (who I trust) with a boutique music library company wants a few of my tracks (mostly old rejects from TV and commercial demos) for his library. It's tempting, but I realize I have to look back and see which libraries any samples I used may have come from, thanks to the "no music library" restriction most sample producers now have.

I can understand the reasoning for the restriction in SOME cases. For instance, some sample sets are in "Construction Kit" form, which is basically a song already written for you (which I confess, I'm not above using when a deadline gets tight! ) Naturally, a sample company doesn't want these "songs" popping up on music libraries.

But what if I just used just the beat from a construction kit? Unless I'm misreading, I then technically can't use that track in a music library. Annoying.

But here's my question: I bought many of these libraries before East/West, et al instituted their "no music library" rules. I assume I'm in the clear on those. Except . . . many of these older disks don't have ANY license agreements printed on the cases. So now it seems my grandfather clause loophole may be gone. In fact, technically, I'd have a hard time proving I can use the samples for anything.

Anyone know if there is a real policy for older CDRoms with regards to music library use? Specifically, the old Best Service "Dance Mega" and "No Kick" collections, which I still love.

And with all my complaining, I have to say, three cheers to Spectrasonics and Ilio for not having these restrictions. Are there other libraries without the "no music library" restriction? I love Stylus RMX, but it definely has "a sound," as far as it's loops (and expanders) go.

- Mike Greene

Re: Samples and their use in music libraries

The rule of thumb with most of them (especially loop libraries) seems to be, you can't use the loops isolated -- they have to have something else going on with them that YOU'VE written.

The no music lib restriction Im 90% certian is only for Storm Drum and maybe also Percussive adventures.

But you can still use the Storm Drum multisamples

Ed

You still need to clear the content with the creators or distributors.

In most cases old and current libraries are indexed and cataloued for future releases, and these carry restricions.

Releasing a drum loop with added content does not make it exempt from licencing and copyright restrictions.

These types of copyright and licencing policies sometimes extend to actual preset sounds off sound modules etc.., Roland being a prime example in the case of the V-Drum brain being sampled and redistributed on cd rom. Roland almost sued the guy who did this, a small fish in the ocean, and only after he publicly apologised and withdrew the content.

Other manufacturers encourage the use of their content as it is the most direct and potent form of advertising and marketting.

We provide all our content licence free, with no additional fees to be paid at any time.
    We do, however, request creditation on commercial releases. That is our advertising.

Always check with the suplliers. Each company has it's own licencing policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greene
    The idea of licensing tracks to music libraries has never appealed to me.
    What's your problem with it?

Quote Originally Posted by -Ed
    The no music lib restriction Im 90% certian is only for Storm Drum and maybe also Percussive adventures.

But you can still use the Storm Drum multisamples

Ed
    Hi,

There was a discussion about this a while ago. If I remember right, what Nick doesn't want is that you "sell the loop" to a music library with almost no creative work (as they are good enough to be sold without other musical elements). So if you have a huge orchestral composition and in the back of it a Storm drum loop, I guess it is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Samplecraze
    You still need to clear the content with the creators or distributors.
    Go to the producers directly...the distributors sometimes don't have the correct info.

This "special clearance" issue only applies in fringe areas like music libraries, new sample libraries and multimedia use where the samples are presented in an isolated form or a derivative version of the original has been made. Normal stereo music mixes in commercial music and soundtrack work should be fully covered in all standard sample libraries and virtual instruments that are "license-free". There are a tiny number of non-license free libraries...but it's very rare. Check the agreements of each library you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by Samplecraze
    These types of copyright and licencing policies sometimes extend to actual preset sounds off sound modules etc.., Roland being a prime example in the case of the V-Drum brain being sampled and redistributed on cd rom. Roland almost sued the guy who did this, a small fish in the ocean, and only after he publicly apologised and withdrew the content.
    Since I was involved in that case, I'd like to clarify that it was not a music library at all that he was creating....but he was creating a new sample library based on the V-Drums. Since Spectrasonics licensed our drum samples to Roland for the V-Drums, he was creating a new sample library based on Spectrasonics and Roland copyrighted sound recordings.....so that was a totally different situation than the music library issue.

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by Markus S
    Hi,

There was a discussion about this a while ago. If I remember right, what Nick doesn't want is that you "sell the loop" to a music library with almost no creative work (as they are good enough to be sold without other musical elements). So if you have a huge orchestral composition and in the back of it a Storm drum loop, I guess it is ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ed
    I don't think that is correct information.

I would recommend asking Doug Rogers if they have changed their policy at all. Unless it has changed, they have a longstanding policy not allowing any kind of music library use in all of their products.

Maybe Doug can clarify their official policy.

spectrum

But here's my question: I bought many of these libraries before East/West, et al instituted their "no music library" rules.
    Are you sure?

I know this has been an East West policy for a long time...at least 6 years or more.

I assume I'm in the clear on those. Except . . . many of these older disks don't have ANY license agreements printed on the cases. So now it seems my grandfather clause loophole may be gone. In fact, technically, I'd have a hard time proving I can use the samples for anything.

Anyone know if there is a real policy for older CDRoms with regards to music library use? Specifically, the old Best Service "Dance Mega" and "No Kick" collections, which I still love.
    Check directly with Best Service on those, since those are not East West titles.

And with all my complaining, I have to say, three cheers to Spectrasonics and Ilio for not having these restrictions.
    Glad that works well for you.

Are there other libraries without the "no music library" restriction? I love Stylus RMX, but it definely has "a sound," as far as it's loops (and expanders) go.
    Sure, there are lots of companies that don't have music library restrictions. Just ask the company directly to be sure before purchasing.

Also, I'd recommend spending some more time learning all there is to explore in RMX...there's no reason at all that it has to have a particular sound. The whole idea is that it is highly customizable to make your own unique "sound" with it. Especially with all the new Xpanders and REX conversions you can do.

All the best,

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    I would recommend asking Doug Rogers if they have changed their policy at all. Unless it has changed, they have a longstanding policy not allowing any kind of music library use in all of their products.

Maybe Doug can clarify their official policy.

spectrum
    This has already been discussed in other threads regarding the "new" products. They are not subject to all the same restrictions as the "old" ones.

Daryl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast