• Register
  • Help

Topic: Running dedicated GigaPulse?

Share/Bookmark

Running dedicated GigaPulse?

Hi... what if I wanted a computer with the sole purpose of running gigapulse instances, how would i do that?

Lets say that I on one computer wanted an instance for each section, and each section is spread out on each its computer?

Re: Running dedicated GigaPulse?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Hi... what if I wanted a computer with the sole purpose of running gigapulse instances, how would i do that?

Lets say that I on one computer wanted an instance for each section, and each section is spread out on each its computer?
    Gigapulse VST/FX Teleport

Daryl

Couldn't you do something like this?
    The sequencing computer sends midi to each of the GS slave computers.
    Each of the slave computers then sends their audio to the gigapulse computer, which feeds the finished result to the sequencing computer.

If this is what you are thinking of, it is certainly possible and doable with some caveats.

The gigapulse computer if it has to provide convolution for half a dozen or more giga slaves will need to be extremely fast - something like a quad opteron or xeon.
    It will also need a GSIF2 soundcard and enough inputs (analogue or digital) for all the slave computers.

Presumably, you won't be bothered about the extra latency.
    But at least the latency will be much lower than using a switch or router to link all the computers.

hv

I think the more usual way to dedicate a machine to GP would be to treat it like any other dedicated reverb box. Feed the audio to be processed into it and return processed audio. Perhaps with adat ports if you want the possibility of 8 channels of processing.

With GigaPulse, I think the bigest issue will be how many instances your dedicated machine can process. I suspect the Teleport and gigabit Ethernet processing might cut into the limit. Sticking to audio processing with audio cards would certainly get you OS independence... your DAW machine could be anything, even a digital mixer.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen

Marcussen,

Do you plan to run Gigapulse on audio, or just on samples. GigaPulse VST will be out soon. That strikes me as the best way to run GP on audio, workflow-wise.

-JF

Go Back to forum