• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Advanced: Bowed Crotales/Marimba?

Share/Bookmark

GPO Advanced: Bowed Crotales/Marimba?

Maybe this had been suggested before, but I'd like so see these in GPO Advanced (in prio #):

- KS for Bowed Crotales (Mod)
    - KS for Bowed Marimba (Mod)

Thanks!
    Robert

Re: GPO Advanced: Bowed Crotales/Marimba?

More modern percussion would definitely be useful.

I've longed for bowed vibes
    Vibes with mouth cavity resonance
    Timpani harmonics
    Rute hits

So on and so forth...

Then again, these may already exist somewhere that I'm not aware of.

(BTW, is there a bass marimba anywhere?)

I'm hoping for a vibraphone with a more defined richer timbre. The one in Plugsound Vol 1 is phenomenal.

I'm also hoping for a much more extended brass, strings and woodwinds, which is what I believe GPO Advanced will be offering. I'm thinking of the sarrusophone, serpent, opheoclide, curved trombone, mellophone, cimbasso, wagner tuba, euphonium, alto and soprano bassoons, double valve tuba, helicon, hecklephone, classic saxophones, now for strings, baroque and renaissance lutes, vintage violins, violas, cellos and doublebasses, a triplebass one-string cello (like a super-doublebass but with richer harmonics), classical guitar and some more exotic harps. Now for woodwinds, contrabass flute, sopranino clarinet, kazoo, thunder machine, piccolo reed (an exotic curved clarinet that has very warm high order harmonics) and of course, more percussion would round it off nicely.

Anything I haven't listed? Wow, I'm breaking out a sweat. There must be dozens and dozens of these rare and exotic instruments. Of course, 1000 instruments would be too many...so sticking with the ones that are known to be used more commonly (I say more commonly because some instruments were invented but were never used).

Maybe this will be the thread that Gary finally give a hint on whether or not there will be saxophones played with a nice classical tone.

Here is someone to contact, Gary, for more info. I was a student of his father, Dr. Charles W. Smith. His name is Randall Smith and he was trained by the world renowned saxophonist at U of Indiana:

http://finearts.truman.edu/music/fac...p?facultyId=24

This guy is amazing. If you guys have never heard a true classical sax tone, it will inspire you to compose even more music for the instrument!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Ben, if you didn't put Contrabass Clarinet in your list, then I'd like that one too. I find its lowest octave tones to be facinating.

Jess, I think my favorite insertion of sax into a concert work was the alto in Ravel's Pictures at an Exhibition. I always have thought it was very interesting and quite a masterstroke that while he could've given this melody to one of the standard woods, he chose the alto, and it works *perfectly*.

Quote Originally Posted by scottnorma
    Ben, if you didn't put Contrabass Clarinet in your list, then I'd like that one too.
    The Contrabass Clarinet IS in GPO already...

R.

The Contrabass Clarinet currently in GPO is an Eb Contrabass Clarinet made by Selmer played with a Selmer D mouthpiece. We plan on also adding a BBb contrabass clarinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    We plan on also adding a BBb contrabass clarinet.
    Thank you Gary. That's what I was hoping for.

The Contrabass Clarinet currently in GPO is an Eb Contrabass Clarinet made by Selmer played with a Selmer D mouthpiece.
    Hi Gary,

That Eb instrument is more properly known, somewhat awkwardly, as the "contra-alto" clarinet.

A true contrabass clarinet would be most welcome, but please also add the low (written) C3 -- concert Bb1 -- to the bass clarinet as well. This is the lowest note on most modern bass clarinets, but it's inexplicably missing from the current version of GPO.

The Contrabass Clarinet currently in GPO is an Eb Contrabass Clarinet made by Selmer played with a Selmer D mouthpiece. We plan on also adding a BBb contrabass clarinet.
    Gary, thanks for the clarification - I was wondering why the current "contrabass" clarinet didn't go up to the (concert) low Bb. I can't wait to hear the "true" contrabass clarinet!

Robert

Go Back to forum