• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Which Sampleplatform for VSL library?

Share/Bookmark

Which Sampleplatform for VSL library?

Hi,
    I'm about to buy VSL First Edition, and try to find out which samplerplatform to use. I would like to use a dedicated PC for VSL. My mainseq. I have Gigastudio 3 for the purpose but are there any advantages in fx. buying Kontakt?

Any opinion is welcome!
    Stig

Re: Which Sampleplatform for VSL library?

Hi!

I would buy in Giga format because of Gigapulse. VSL is recorded dry.

Well, if you're buying first edition then you'd have to buy it in giga format. Only the Horizon series is available in Kontakt and Halion formats along with Giga and EXS.
    Tim

Kontakt 2 of course!

With Kontakt 2 there is no need for performance tool, because of its scripting capabilities. I bet that VSL will release an updated version of their libraries soon, with all repetition notes, legatos, portatos and glissandos already embeded in the library with their respective scripts. No need for any external program, or midi loopback devices. Keep an eye on that before you buy any library.

And of course, K2 also has embeded convolution if you want to add reverb to your patches.

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by Benecs
    Hi!

I would buy in Giga format because of Gigapulse. VSL is recorded dry.
    Gigapulse will be availible as VSTi in the future, too. There are also a lot of other good convoluters and hardware units for good processing. Don't let VSL hear you said dry They refer to it as "controlled first reflection" which is a main reason the built the silent stage for to develop their legato features. I'd buy GigaStudio format because that will run out of the box and you already seem to have it. You can still translate most of the patches yourself into Kontakt if you feel the need for it, however not all patches will translate correctly. There will be a small percentage that would need reprogramming. Native Kontakt versions are only availible with Horizon series products.

Guga, Herb said there are no plans yet for Kontakt 2 versions of the Symphonic series products.

If you need maximum polyphony from a single machine get the Gigastudio version. The performance tool is easiest to use with Gigastudio. It's a pain to use with Kontakt, but like Guga says there are some performance scripts out that may make the performance tool unnecessary. If polyphony is less of a requirement (it usually isn't for large orchestral scores) then the Kontakt version may be a little more conventient to use. I got both because the sidegrade for Opus 1 was around $100.

fizbin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I have been running a/b tests with Kontakt 2 and Giga 3 all afternoon, and one consideration I'd definitely put on the table is the convolution. If you want to use the realtime convolution, definitely go with the Giga version and a nice separate machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    I have been running a/b tests with Kontakt 2 and Giga 3 all afternoon, and one consideration I'd definitely put on the table is the convolution. If you want to use the realtime convolution, definitely go with the Giga version and a nice separate machine.
    Thanks for your replies. I think I'll go for Giga. The whole idea of having orchestra setup and ready on a separate machine is what I like!
    thanks again!
    Stig

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I want to caution you on one issue, reacting to what you are saying...

I don't think you'll be fitting the entire VSL in real time on a single machine, so you do have to be prepared to do some rendering, bouncing, freezing, or whatever methodology you ultimately choose.

I have had best results with lightpipe-enabled audio interfaces. This enables me to get eight tracks quickly from one machine to another, and it is a good work flow for me.

You already have the Giga 3 license, so it makes sense to set this up for yourself. If you find yourself needing to use more instruments, you might add Kontakt 2 on your DAW machine, and you'd be set up pretty well. That is how I have things set up right now, and it works out nicely since you can easily convert 2.x GigaStudio files to Kontakt. In fact, in the update they claim now to be able to convert GigaStudio 3.0 files. I will see how that works, eventually, and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by fizbin
    If you need maximum polyphony from a single machine get the Gigastudio version.
    Oh Fizbin, I´m sorry, but I heard this so many times, an so far there are no numbers to prove it. Give some numbers on it, and I will definetly accept this point and recommend it to everybody.

But without facts attached, it´s very risky to recommend GS as the one choice for maximum polyphony.

Best Regards

Go Back to forum