• Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Xeon Stress Tests

Share/Bookmark

xxx

xxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by cand; 01-26-2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: xxx

Re: Xeon Stress Tests

Hi Cand. thanks for the tests..curious about some more details spec on your Xeon system (mobo,HD`s, ram etc.) Thinking of building one of these or a Dual core soon.. Rich

Rich, you know the specs. Cands computer is a mirror image of mine except for the sound card and video card.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Rich, you know the specs. Cands computer is a mirror image of mine except for the sound card and video card.
    Ohh. O.K. I didnt know that !! Scott. Your setup is killer, no wonder cand is getting great perf. I`m still torn between getting your setup and waiting for Dual core? Your not getting the same "Kompakt version" problems cand is are you? Best, Rich

Any news on how dual core would compare to the above setup in both price and performance?

Like Rich i'm also on the verge of getting a new com. Ive even considered G5...

I think dual core will be the way to go once AMD gets in the game and the pricing becomes competetive in the race for the fastest performance test results. The trick will be, of course, to not buy the latest and greatest at $750 a pop, but to get the second or third fastest for substantially less. I think dual core at 3.0 will be about the same as 2 Xeons at 3.0. I'm not basing that on fact necessarily, but that's still what I think, based mostly on my computing experience, what I've read, etc. Some perf tests of the current Intel dual cores -

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2388
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2389
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2394
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050405/index.html

I'm betting on AMD to come out ahead in the price/performance ratio eventually and am willing to wait about a year to see all this come to fruition and mature as well as have all the accompanying technology (motherboards, RAM, etc) become more affordable.

fizbin

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Could you refresh for the rest of us?
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by peter269
    Could you refresh for the rest of us?
    Hi Peter, here's a cut and paste from a previous reply;

Asus NCCH-DL motherboard - it only has two or 3 pci slots from memory but if you're dedicating it to being solely a music machine, it should be fine.

Ram - 2 x 1gb sticks of Corsair DDR400 XMS 3200 (matched pair.) - The really cool thing about the NCCH-DL mobo is that its one of the only server class boards that DONT require ECC or registered ram. So you can save money there. If you do decide to pop in more ram, this is a dual channel board, in other words, you cant pop a stick of 1gb in andthen a stick of 512. You need to match it, foe example; 2a 1gb sticks then 2 x 512 sticks will give you 3gb. You cant go fro 2.5gb. Make sure the ram is identical, same EEPROM. (should tell you on the sticks.)

Power Supply - Antec True Power 550w EPS - make sure its the one for Xeons, I think there are two 550w supplies. EPS denotes Xeon I think. This ps is super quiet and supplies more than enough juice for multiple hard drives, cpus etc.

Case - Antec AMG1000 - this case comes specifically without a powersupply so you wont be buying one twice.

Hard drives - this is kind of interesting, according to a lot of benchmarks and chatting to some DAW makers, you wont need RAID. RAID really comes into its own when you are streaming heaps of audio tracks, like 3 minutes wavs or something. Because of the VSTs and buffers etc, RAID doesnt do much at all. Another interesting thing, some ATA drives are still outperforming SATA. I bought a
    SEAGATE 3200822A 200G 8M/7200
    (200gb)

Look at these benchmarks: (a higher number is better)
    sisoft marks of 49-50 (for the above hard drive)
    74G Raptor 52-53
    standard wd Sata 35-39

Its not far behind a Raptor and way ahead of SATA.

For the system drive you can go SATA if you want, it really only gets accessed once to load apps into ram.

CPUs - I went for 2 x Xeon 3.0ghz/800mhz fsb. Must be active cooling. (passive is for rackmounts. If you do want rackmount, you'll need the NCH-DR board.) Provided you get the 800mhz chips (dont get the 533 Prescotts) you have the Nocona core and EMT64 (chips ready for 64bit apps.

Cooling - The case itself comes with 2 x 80mm case fans.

I put one at the front of the case, down the bottom to suck air in. This case has a washable filter at the front too which is a really nice touch. 2nd fan goes up the back just under the power supply to suck hot air out. Its also a good ideato pop a 3rd 80mm fan thats mounts on the side door of the case and blows air straight down onto the Xeons.

The fans I recommend are Vantec Stealth Fans, they are 80% quieter than normal fans and have a lifetime warranty. They still only cost about $8 (u.s.)!!

----
    For my music apps, Ive installed vts that load into ram (like Atmosphere, Trilogy) onto the C: drive. Streaming apps like EWQLSO, Kontakt, etc are on the 200gb drive. Oh, for XP to recognise a drive 200gb or larger, you'll need to install Service pack 1. Also, (you guys probably know this already) you need XP Pro for dual chips.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Wow dual core is literally two chips stacked together.

Hey it's pretty interesting this idea that clockspeeds can't get any faster due to exessive heat and that hyperthreading dual processors will only effect certain apps and processes. Do you think we've seen the end of the computer race? It's kind of scarey to think so. These machines can barely handle what we've got right now.

Jose

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    Wow dual core is literally two chips stacked together.

Hey it's pretty interesting this idea that clockspeeds can't get any faster due to exessive heat and that hyperthreading dual processors will only effect certain apps and processes. Do you think we've seen the end of the computer race? It's kind of scarey to think so. These machines can barely handle what we've got right now.

Jose
    No - its in no way the end of the computer race. A minor hiccup at most

Go Back to forum