• Register
  • Help

Topic: Installing various updates

Share/Bookmark

Installing various updates

Hi,

I'm really sorry to be so thick! I downloaded the file X-custom zip file. When I use winzip to decompress, it asks me for a target location. The contents of x-custom.zip do NOT contain any other programs, installers or whatever. I still do not know WHERE the contents of x-custom.zip are supposed to go, or WHAT program is the installer?

Inasmuch as the on-line documentation is totally bereft of any hint of this - can someone please, then, give me step by step instructions as to how to handle x-custom.zip, along with the other updates listed below.

To review, then, I have downloaded the following files:

GPOStudioV12.zip
    GPO_11U_Win_Setup.zip
    X-Custom.zip

1- What is the correct sequence for unzipping these files
    2- What are the explicit, step by step instructions for installing the abovementioned files
    3- This is necessitated by the simple fact that there is no cogent set of instructions for this

Thanks.

Re: Installing various updates

Music613,

Basically, if you take them in the order that they appear on the Garritan site you'll have it right. Start with the first file that's listed: GPO_11U_Win_Setup.zip. Unzip it to any convenient location on your hard drive. Run the setup program - it will step you through the update process.

The second file on the site is the Update documentation. It's a PDF file. Read all of it.

The third file is the DFD extension. It's optional. If you have enough RAM I'd skip it for now. You can always add it later.

The fourth file is the GPO Studio update. Again, unzip it to any convenient location. As above, run the setup file.

The fifth file is the X-Custom file. It's a folder of instruments. The easiest approach is to unzip it directly into the Instruments folder (usually located on the "C" drive, Program files/Garritan Personal Orchestra/GPO Library/Instruments. You can also unzip it to another location on your hard drive and move the X-Custom folder to the Instruments folder. It should sit next to the Dry and Wet Audition folders. Once placed in the correct location it should appear on the load button as an additional choice called "X-Custom." Hope that helps.

Tom

Thanks, Tom-

This is exactly what I needed to know. A single sentence placed prominently in some documentation would solve the problem, yours, for example.

Now I can go ahead and begin to figure out the rest. I use Sibelius - and its native instrument set is quite poor even as it is light years ahead of things like Encore.

I only wish that the upper ranges of the strings in the "standard" issue of the orchestra was not quite as limited. The question of range is decidedly a fundamental one, not an "extra."

Quote Originally Posted by music613
    I only wish that the upper ranges of the strings in the "standard" issue of the orchestra was not quite as limited. The question of range is decidedly a fundamental one, not an "extra."
    The decision about the range of various articulations in the strings was made at the time of the original GOS recording sessions by those involved (primarily the conductor, the concert master, and a few others, as I understand it.) They based their decisions on "common usage" demands. This was an unavoidable practical matter determined by the limited amount of recording time available for the hall, musicians, conductor, engineers, etc. Choices had to be made and, given the restrictions, these were the best choices in their judgment. Unfortunately, the world is rarely such that you can choose to do everything you would like; it's almost always a compromise.

If you have the full version of Kontakt it is possible to "stretch" the top samples if you like. They will sound progressively less realistic as you increase their span but you may find it an acceptable alternative (I didn't.)

Tom

Hey people, does anyone know where can I download this updates? I need it so much, tried to find on garritan page, and there is nothing.
    Thanks anyway!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zolentije View Post
    Hey people, does anyone know where can I download this updates? I need it so much, tried to find on garritan page, and there is nothing.
    Thanks anyway!!!!
    Updates to Kontakt Player libraries should still be available by logging into your account on the Native Instruments webpage and accessing your products and updates page. This should include the Kontakt Player 2 update. For a nominal $49, you can update your Kontakt-based library to GPO4 on the Aria platform.

Go Back to forum