• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: No more Macromedia!!!! :(

Share/Bookmark

No more Macromedia!!!! :(

With all the software mergers - Yamaha and Pinnacle taking over my beloved SX, one of the many reasons I got rid of it, Avid taking over M-Audio to make more ProTools clones - they've now taken it one step too far. Adobe has bought out Macromedia.

I love the Macromedia products - and I know many other designers on this very board that use them too (hence the reason I'm posting this here) - now we'll have to relearn all our fav apps as Adobe makes them - well - more Photoshoppy and will most likely double their prices.

I've been a Macromedia user form the very beginning as I disliked many things about Adobe's products...

I'm off to cry now.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Re: No more Macromedia!!!! :(

Hmmm... At this point, I'm not sure how to take this news. I love Macromedia products and I certainly hope the workflow and interface of the programs don't change overmuch. Hopefully in the future the users will benefit from this synergy. I have much love for both companies, however Adobe has made some errors in the recent years, but this type of thing always seems to cause more problems starting out.

Alan,

I use Macromedia Director as well as the Adobe Video Collection. I'm much more comfortable with Adobe's work flow.

Still a sad day as another merger "homogenizes" our world.

Play some music, that'll make it all better

All the very best,

Darren

I guess the biggest frustration is that soon, if things continue this way, there will be no more choice - and that hurts everyone's work when you are forced to use a single entity tool. Imagine ten years from now - after Avid has bought SX from Yamaha, Cakewalk sells Sonar to Mackie (who has long given up on Tracktion) and then Avid buys out Mackie...

Now you have nothing but Sonacktion X. And no one gets the work flow they want - or the features cause everything is so dumbed down as to compete with GarageBand.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Allen,

I wouldn't worry too much about this one. Macromedia and Adobe (who are literally blocks away from each other here in San Jose) have had a sort of inter-relationship for a long long time.

The Macromedia folks (some of whom I'm working with on projects) are ok with this for the most part - I can't speak for everyone but generally these two companies have been tight.

Another example is Apple, who still stays pretty out of the way of thrust and scope of Logic. I work with/on Logic all day (for the last 10 years) and it has gotten better not worse. The choices are not being limited but extended (additions like Final Cut w/ Soundtracks are new entities entirely). The addition of real-time time stretch/comp in 7, late on the Logic scene I realise is great as are many other new features and some bug clean up but no homogenization happening here.

But I do know what you mean - I've seen it a thousand times here too, in the Silicon Valley. I just wish all constant new flash versions would cease & desist.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    Adobe has bought out Macromedia.
    Well, at least we can expect to pay 2.500$ for each minor update and 15000$ for the full mx suite.

I've been a Macromedia user form the very beginning as I disliked many things about Adobe's products...

I'm off to cry now.
    Alan, I know exactly how you feel. I've been a Macromedia man ever since I got into web design quite a few years ago. The only Adobe product that I'll use is Photoshop, everything else is Macromedia for me. My question is what's going to happen to programs like Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and Freehand as Adobe has competing software with them... Not so happy times
    Tim

Well Macromedia did their fair share of buying out small companies in their day too.

Flash was actually called "Futuresplash", I think a small Cal company made it.

Ultradev was original a dev tool made by Elemental software. (Drumbeat, Ithink was the name.)

And Macromedia bought all of Alliare; JRUN, JSP, Coldfusion.

What goes around comes around I say.

Still, its nice to have choices and a healthy competition and Im not a big Adobe fan by any stretch.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

I guess the biggest frustration is that soon, if things continue this way, there will be no more choice - and that hurts everyone's work when you are forced to use a single entity tool. Imagine ten years from now - after Avid has bought SX from Yamaha, Cakewalk sells Sonar to Mackie (who has long given up on Tracktion) and then Avid buys out Mackie...

Now you have nothing but Sonacktion X. http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...s/confused.gif And no one gets the work flow they want - or the features cause everything is so dumbed down as to compete with GarageBand.
    DON'T FEEL TOO BAD. I have two words for you that will change things: open source.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I actually think it is good news. Macromedia's UI designers have a serious set of blinders on, and one would hope that Adobe would actually have some positive effect on this. Flash has the worst timeline in the history of timelines. If they could somehow create a timeline which is as good as that in Vegas, and have it all come out "Flashed" in the end, they would have something very powerful on their hands. As it is, that timeline is almost a waste of space for as little as one can do with it.

Go Back to forum