• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Apple's new version of Soundtrack

Share/Bookmark

Apple's new version of Soundtrack

For those of you that also use Final Cut Pro and/or Soundtrack, the new versions were unvelied today at NAB. Here's Walter Murch in a QT vid on the new ST:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/...stimonial.html

Re: Apple's new version of Soundtrack

Looks like they're talking about features that have been in Nuendo and Cubase SX for years. I'm sure they've found a way to make some technical tasks as easy as playing with a Fisher-Price toy, as they always do. I simply find it irksome when some endorser pretends like Apple software is the first company to do anything simply because they never bothered to pay attention up to now. Chalk it up to the kindest form of flattery mixed with a good marketing plan - I'm sure it will be a huge hit.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    I simply find it irksome when some endorser pretends like Apple software is the first company to do anything simply because they never bothered to pay attention up to now.
    Here we go again! Dear God is there no possibility of mentioning ANYTHING connected to Apple that doesn't elicit this kind or arrogant and obnoxious behavior?

Houston, all that I did was to post a link for those who might be interested, that's all. No one pretended anything, they're just talking about features that are new to the program, not new to the universe and course of human of events! You see, it's called an "update", and as such, it has features that it didn't have before, and therefore, some people are of the mind that these are the sorts of things that you actually talk about when the update is released. Go figure!

Soundtrack is part of the FinalCut Pro suite and it integrates with FCP in such a way that those other blessed programs you mentioned simply DO NOT, and it makes one of the various tasks of a film editor easier. (Terribly sorry if you don't approve of that by the way.) Additionally, it's only a few years old, so it's still early in its development cycle and it wasn't even around six years ago. As for your "as easy as a Fischer Price toy" comment, what that tells me is that you're one of those people that thinks the more complicated the procedure, the *better* the procedure. Brilliant!

And by the way, Walter Murch is not "some endorser", he's an A-list film editor. (The Talented Mr. Ripley, The English Patient, The Godfather Trilogy, to name a few, not to mention three Academy Awards.) He recently edited Cold Mountain on the set using FinalCut Pro and an Apple laptop which is the first time a major feature film has been edited on a laptop. (I know, I know, "Apple: the horror, the horror!") I dare say he's done more with his life than you ever will, so you might want to put that hotshot attitude of your's in check.

Nevertheless, I beg your forgiveness for exposing you to someting so "irksome". On the other hand, I can't help but wonder, in light of your obvious distaste for Apple software, why did you go to the site? Perhaps in the future you might shield your delicate sensibilities and avoid any links that begin with "www.apple".

Exclamation Re: Apple's new version of Soundtrack

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    Looks like they're talking about features that have been in Nuendo and Cubase SX for years. I'm sure they've found a way to make some technical tasks as easy as playing with a Fisher-Price toy, as they always do. I simply find it irksome when some endorser pretends like Apple software is the first company to do anything simply because they never bothered to pay attention up to now. Chalk it up to the kindest form of flattery mixed with a good marketing plan - I'm sure it will be a huge hit.
    Houston,

Scott's post was not an endorsement nor was it pretending that Apple is the first company to offer these features. He was providing information for those like myself who have absolutely no interest whatsoever in either Cubase or Nuendo and who may have an interest in this new product and it's feature set -- whether these features have appeared in other programs is completely beside the point.

You can rest assured that everyone has paid attention up until now and they may have avoided other applications such as the ones you've made mention of based on their preferences. Just because an application has certain features does NOT mean that it is the only option for the end user. Personally, based on my continuing terrible experiences with Steinberg's various products, I find Soundtrack a far more appealing choice than, for example Cubase or Nuendo which may have similar features.

Scott is indeed right -- a person need only mention Apple on this forum and it illicits quite an unreasonable reaction...

Best,

Kaveh

www.kavehcohen.com

Well, this software appears to be very useful for film editors indeed... perhaps this post would be more useful in another forum.

That's a curious reaction, Houston!

What I see is a suite of programs for wedding videographer types (which would have to be the biggest market for Final Cut Pro). People above and below that will certainly use it, but I think that's its main audience.

They've leveraged all the goodies in Logic - and that's a *lot* of stuff - and put them in a $300 program. That's tough if you're another developer, although I'm not sure what the direct competition is.

SoundTrack Pro doesn't seem to have GarageBand's MIDI instrument tracks, only audio. So if it's a 64-bit program, which it probably is, it won't work as an EXS host that can access all 8 gigs of memory in a G5.

Looking at it again, I may be wrong - it may be higher-end than I originally thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    That's a curious reaction, Houston!

What I see is a suite of programs for wedding videographer types (which would have to be the biggest market for Final Cut Pro). People above and below that will certainly use it, but I think that's its main audience.

Ehhhh, i wouldn't say that - call a handful of reputable post house in your 'neighborhood' and i would bet 75% have Final Cut editing suites - and an Avid system they'd like to sell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Guga Bernardo
    Well, this software appears to be very useful for film editors indeed... perhaps this post would be more useful in another forum.
    It's not ONLY for film editors, that is but ONE application. You're once again speaking from the position of your own ignorance, spurred on by your envy.

Nevertheless, perhaps you should report to the NS administrator and make your case that a post regarding a multitrack audio editor that incorporates sound design and sample loop playback into FinalCut Pro which is a program that people like me who work in film use as a part of their setup - is somehow off-topic. If they agree with you, then I'm sure they'll be glad to delete it.

Oh, and by the way, be sure and show him your post from a couple of days ago where you hurled a littany of insults in my direction for no good reason and ask him how on-topic THAT was.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharmy
    Apple Shmapple, I have had about 12 of them, I don't see what the big deal is.
    Said the blind man to the artist.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast