• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Berceuse for Oboe and Piano

Share/Bookmark

Berceuse for Oboe and Piano

Hey Guys!

Decided to GPO an older composition of mine entitled Berceuse for Oboe and Piano.

Berceuse for Oboe and Piano

I'm going to work on some expression really soon and repost. Just thought I would let you hear it.

I did a little EQ with ChannelStrip and a little 'boost' from PSP's MixPressor.

Let me know what you think on the composition, processing, etc!

Thanks so much!

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: Berceuse for Oboe and Piano

Nice piece! Lovely, haunting, evocative melodic work... I've listened to this several times.

Donald, I know from your post you're going to rework this; so my comments are undoubtedly premature to your futher effort on it. But overall, I would suggest bringing the piano up just a bit during its accompanimental role... and there are some really sweet piano parts in there where a dynamic interplay and dialogue between the oboe and the piano would probably work like silk.

Now that I've told you what you likely already know... lol... I am looking forward to hearing the finished version!

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks so much for the kind comments, David. I plan to work on all your suggestions tomorrow and update to the new and improved 'expressive' version.

Thanks so much!

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

it is a thing of Lydian beauty.Sound is really good .Just needs a few more "hairpins" on the Oboe.Nice composition.Well done.
    regards

Very nice piece, it MUST be finished with more expression and hairpins.
    (Of course ONLY IF it's coherent with your original project, and we are not misunderstanding your aim).

Probably it's due to your research of a warm and powerful sound, but the Oboe sounds sometime like a Soprano Sax.

IMHO the tender and sweet soul of your composition may be enhanced if you turn back a little the Oboe to his more intimate sound, moving long notes with a wider "messa di voce", (the famous hairpins people is asking for!) starting from softer volume, and reach the louder only shortly when the tension of the accompaniment is asking the full power, and the piano (with MIDI velocity variations) too is probably creating a crescendo effect...(I hope it makes sense in English...;-)

You are showing a nice vocation to expressive composition, I like your research, go on and share it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Very nice piece, it MUST be finished with more expression and hairpins.

Probably it's due to your research of a warm and powerful sound, but the Oboe sounds sometime like a Soprano Sax.
    I immediately noted this myself, and went to try to duplicate the "soprano sax" sound... lol -- without success. Do let us know how you got to that.

Something I noticed with the woodwinds in the first piece I did with the GPO [score: Catherine In Winter] is that they respond wonderfully well to dynamic finesse... including hairpinning into a note -- to get that slow expressive rise typical of the style I believe you're trying to evoke.

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hey guys and gals,

The link has been updated with the new Berceuse file with expression. I also changed the piano from the Garritan piano to the Steinway from IVORY.

Let me know what you think, especially on the expression.

Thanks!!

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Gosh, people are probably going to take a freight train up my nostrils for this... but... I think I really prefer the GPO piano over the Ivory.

Don, I know what I said before (you're welcome to slap me), but maybe back off a bit with the Ivory, which seems to bring itself to the front more, harmonically.

Overall, much stronger! The oboe sounds far more natural in terms of expression... much more like there's a human at it. The ending few measures are particularly improved over the original.

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I (almost) agree with you about the piano. Makes you realize how good the GPO piano is for the price. I just thought the IVORY piano was a bit brighter.

No slapping here. This is a etLux-abuseless forum. I'll probably remix in a few days. I usually make a mix, listen to it for a while, then come back with fresher ears and try again. I'm glad to have your 'fresh' ears hear it and pass along recommendations.

Thanks again for taking time to listen and comment. I always learn so much from you guys!

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Quote Originally Posted by brasspig
    This is a etLux-abuseless forum.
    Thank heaven for that... lol.

I worked with the GPO piano quite a bit on a rather large piece (Piano Sonata #7) -- and in the process, gained a very healthy respect for it.

I'm with you on the "wait and re-mix" routine... do a lot of that. I find my ears start giving out on me, and a day in between can make a world of difference.

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast