• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Classical music ringtones are annoying . . .

Share/Bookmark

Angry Classical music ringtones are annoying . . .

This morning I was drinking delicious chocolate milk, thinking about how I didn't want to do my homework, or any kind of work for that matter, when my mind came up with a melody. It was a great cinematic melody in A minor, and I could hear it in my head with grand orchestrations.

Then . . . somebody's cell phone went off to Nutcracker music, and the melody disappeared from my head as my brain cought hold of the Nutcracker melody and went over it again and again.

Classical music ringtones cost me original melodies, and they are thus dangerous to society. Put cell-phones on "vibrate" or something, do not let them play music. It is destroying the chance for new music!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Classical music ringtones are annoying . . .

Hey, I hear ya man! Kind of the same happened to me a while back. I was sitting at a light waiting for my turn and some schlep in a crx rolls up behind me blasting bass frequencies that shattered the pavement below his wheels. I had this melody going in my head and in a few minutes I would be home to rush down and plink it out on pianie! BUT NOOOOOO! This guy ticked me off so bad that when the light changed to go I sat there until it turned yellow again then blasted my way through the intersection. Poor slob had to wait another light! That'll teach him a thing or six!

Tell me about ring tones, man! My daughters cell phones are constantly going of and they are set to two different tones!
    Styxx

I used to have my cellphone play the Ride of the Valkyries when it rang... I got many odd long stares from people on the bus and other public spaces... I wonder why...

Now I don't even carry a cell phone any more. I realised the truth - for the most part, I don't want to be reached anywhere anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    This morning I was drinking delicious chocolate milk, thinking about how I didn't want to do my homework, or any kind of work for that matter, when my mind came up with a melody. It was a great cinematic melody in A minor, and I could hear it in my head with grand orchestrations.

Then . . . somebody's cell phone went off to Nutcracker music, and the melody disappeared from my head as my brain cought hold of the Nutcracker melody and went over it again and again.

Classical music ringtones cost me original melodies, and they are thus dangerous to society. Put cell-phones on "vibrate" or something, do not let them play music. It is destroying the chance for new music!
    Reminds me of that great fragment-poem by Colleridge..."In Xanadu did Kubla Khan, a stately pleasure dome decree..."

I think your problem is quite common to all Artists for as many reasons as there are interruptions!

Not very helpful, but true nonetheless.

Red face Re: Classical music ringtones are annoying . . .

...my cell plays Bach of course (badinerie, usually) or some lullaby I wrote for my daugther...

Probably you are right, in fact I simply turn it off when I compose...

I keep mine on vibrate . I hate hearing people's phones go off . I also hate when a person is having a loud discussion on the phone . Go outside away from people if you need to be so loud !! Nobody in the bar/store cares where you are going for dinner or who so and so slept with !

Thumbs up Re: Classical music ringtones are annoying . . .

Quote Originally Posted by amb
    I keep mine on vibrate . I hate hearing people's phones go off . I also hate when a person is having a loud discussion on the phone . Go outside away from people if you need to be so loud !! Nobody in the bar/store cares where you are going for dinner or who so and so slept with !
    Oh you are so right my friend. Soooooo right!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    I used to have my cellphone play the Ride of the Valkyries when it rang... I got many odd long stares from people on the bus and other public spaces... I wonder why...

Now I don't even carry a cell phone any more. I realised the truth - for the most part, I don't want to be reached anywhere anytime!
    When I walked home late at night from my shop in San Francisco, wearing a ratty old army field jacket and carrying my tuning hammer, which looked like a billy club, in one hand, and a sledge hammer in the other, I got some strange looks, and people steered clear. Wonder why?

Actually, I don't like phones, cellular, or otherwise. But because they were useful for my business, I began using one. Now I continue using it primarily as a saftey matter. I live in an somewhat isolated area, and when I go for a walk, not a person or house is to be seen closer than a mile or two atop a neighboring hill. But my ringer is a soft burr, and not likely to distrurb anyone.

Richard

My cell phone ringer is a two octave major scale. The reason for that choice is that no matter what the frequency signature of the noise background wherever I happen to be, at least some of the notes will cut through and I'll hear the phone. Of course, I always leave it in the car or put it on vibrate anytime a phone call would be intrusive.

I've always found one thing curious. If I'm at a restaurant and there are three tables of people talking to each other in a normal tone of voice, no one gives it a second thought. However, if someone at the fourth table is speaking at the same volume level but is talking on a cell phone, they're almost sure to get indignant stares and have people muttering under their breath about rudeness.

Mind you, I realize that some folks talk overly loud when on the phone. Feel free to slap them whenever you encounter one. Nonetheless, I frequently see situations where people are speaking in the same tone and volume level that others are using for conversation, but since they're on a cell phone, it's socially unacceptable. Can someone explain why American society (I don't know how it is in other countries) has it's thumb up it's posterior about this issue? What's so "wrong" about talking on a cell phone in public if one follows the same rules of courtesy that apply to in person conversations?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Cool Re: Classical music ringtones are annoying . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    My cell phone ringer is a two octave major scale. The reason for that choice is that no matter what the frequency signature of the noise background wherever I happen to be, at least some of the notes will cut through and I'll hear the phone. Of course, I always leave it in the car or put it on vibrate anytime a phone call would be intrusive.

I've always found one thing curious. If I'm at a restaurant and there are three tables of people talking to each other in a normal tone of voice, no one gives it a second thought. However, if someone at the fourth table is speaking at the same volume level but is talking on a cell phone, they're almost sure to get indignant stares and have people muttering under their breath about rudeness.

Mind you, I realize that some folks talk overly loud when on the phone. Feel free to slap them whenever you encounter one. Nonetheless, I frequently see situations where people are speaking in the same tone and volume level that others are using for conversation, but since they're on a cell phone, it's socially unacceptable. Can someone explain why American society (I don't know how it is in other countries) has it's thumb up it's posterior about this issue? What's so "wrong" about talking on a cell phone in public if one follows the same rules of courtesy that apply to in person conversations?
    Deep and rational as usual Chris...I also use the same trick in my lullaby to keep ring tone effective...must be a professional mind deviation of musicians...

Italy has one of higher population/cell phones rate of the world, we know about cell. social influence...

To be honest I find the ring more disturbing than conversation, exactly as you say because it's not natural as simply talking people. But humble and soft ringtone are not easy to hear in big noisy places, then the polite use is probably to adapt frequently the ringtone to the site.

Go Back to forum