• Register
  • Help

Topic: Second Full Day at Berklee College of Music - Day 19

Share/Bookmark

Second Full Day at Berklee College of Music - Day 19

Today was a full itinerary at Berklee. The day started with meeting Stephen Croes for breakfast before he left for L.A. for a last get together of the cast and crew of the series Star Trek Enterprise.

At 9 a.m. I met with Michael Brigida's Advanced Programmable Synthesis Class. I spoke mostly about the sample recording, editing and programming. The studentrs were eager to learn the process of sample development from concept to market.

At 11, I met with the Composition Workshop for Music Synthesis class. This class is taught by Neil Leonard. In this class I listened to student compositions. Really good work by some very talented students. We discussed suggestions on to improve orchestral mockups.

We discussed topics dealing with imparting dynamics and expression, layering solo instruments, humanizing a score and other topics.

At 1 we met for lunch with almost the entire faculty of the Music Synthesis Department. Attending were Kurt Beiderwolf, Chair of the Department, Dan Fisher (one of my sample heroes), Dr. Richard Boulanger, Tom Rhea, Jeff Bauste, David Doms, Michael Brigida, Kai Turnbull and Michael Bierylo. Rarely have I been in the company of so many knowledgeable luminaries. We had some very engaging discussions and a good time.

At 2pm I met with the "MIDI Applications for the Writer" class taught by Richard Grudzinski. We listened to some orchestral midi-mockups and discussed how to use technology to create realistic orchestral arrangements. We also discussed ensemble building and working with notation programs.

At 4pm I met with the Film Scoring students and faculty from the Film Scoring Department. Students from the different film scoring classes attended. I showed the rebroadcast of the concert of Richard Birdsall's "Knights in Magic" as well as the midi-mockup version. This aided in discussing the process of bringing a midi-mockup score to a real orchestra. We also discussed trends in sampling and synthesis. The students had some great questions and certainly knew their music technology.

At 6, Donald Wilkes, Chair of the Film Scoring Department, brought me to the film scoring stage. They were doing an overdub session where they were overdubbing a French horn player and two clarinet players to a GPO mockup. It sounded fabulous.

Later, Kurt Beiderwolf and I went to dinner. Tomorrow is another busy day in Boston. Then off to Seattle.

Gary Garritan

"In Boston they ask, how much does he know? In New York, how much is he worth? In Philadelphia, who were his parents?"

- Mark Twain

Re: Second Full Day at Berklee College of Music - Day 19

Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    "In Boston they ask, how much does he know? In New York, how much is he worth? In Philadelphia, who were his parents?"

- Mark Twain
    and we say, "what is Gary Garritan gonna do next?

dp

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    and we say, "what is Gary Garritan gonna do next?
    If he were a normal human, and not a GPO Superhero, I'd say: "SLEEP... for about a WEEK!"

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Whew, another busy day in the captain's log!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thumbs up Re: Second Full Day at Berklee College of Music - Day 19

Are any of these students members of our community or at least visit? It would be very interesting to hear the students various mock ups and compositions. Just a thought.
    Sounds like a very informative and educational experience! Man, I would be eating, drinking and sleeping all of it if it were my fortune! Nice...
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    If he were a normal human, and not a GPO Superhero, I'd say: "SLEEP... for about a WEEK!"

- m
    Sounds like a good idea

Go Back to forum