• Register
  • Help

Topic: Nearing opening night.

Share/Bookmark

Red face Nearing opening night.

It's hard to believe the months have gone by so quickly. In three more weeks we will open our musical marking a fifteen-year stay for me as musical director. This is my final year and subsequently, the final year for this theatre group. Twenty-five years in existence with over 100 main musicals and numerous small shows. It's hard to believe and hard to put aside. The worst is the children will not have an outside source from their schools after this season for theatre. Much has to be sorted out and sold.

Well, Act 1 music is pretty much set. There are sound FX needed and slight changes will no doubt be made for scene change music. Act 2 was for all intent and purposes finished last week. Most of the vocal numbers in Act 1 with only two in Act 2 (three if you count a short reprise). The Overture is complete and the Entre Acte as well. Now to settle down to writing the bows and exit music. I think this is the worst task for a musical director especially not having an assistant at the piano. The director wants it to naturally coincide with the characters as they appear in sequence with their respective songs. Eh! I can do that! Getting lazy I guess.
    My only wish would have been to conduct just once more an orchestra for this musical. To end and go out with my tails on and in control! To hear the voices in the audience once last time whisper; "It's Leopold"! It's Leopold!" I think that is when it really started to die for me. I’ll never forget when they came to me and told me the budget was cut and the first to go was the hiring of the orchestra.
    As it stands, we will be using piano and I will be directing the actors’ cues.
    Styxx

Re: Nearing opening night.

Good luck, I hope all goes well. Sad to see a theatre meet such an end, around here, near DC, theatres seem to stay very active. I'm sure the people involved in the production, especially the children, are very thankful for your work.

With my major in computer engineering/science, and my inability to take a real music class, I've been considering a minor in theatre or something, kind of as a "creative outlet" since sitting at a computer programming for homework gets utterly boring . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

We can only hope the whole MTV/Britney Spears pop culture thing dies down someday.

NPR did a series on small theatres operating in the red. The positive is that there are butts in seats, they just need mo' money. They seem to thrive in smaller communities, where they become a central social event. Just like it always was.

This is, I guess, why I want so badly to get my Master's and Doctorate. Then I can get a nice, medium pay college teaching job and live in that cultural fantasy land. A place where there is still theatre, opera, orchestra, band, recitals of chamber music, etc.

Damn, Styxx. I usually read your threads to be cheered.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Let's just all get together and create GPO Land, where we can all live in peace and happiness . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    We can only hope the whole MTV/Britney Spears pop culture thing dies down someday.
    As long as the media keeps forcing her and similar acts down everyone's throats, everyone will continue to think that's the real deal, or "real poop" as I say,,

dpDan

Maybe we should kill our TVs. Or at least get rid of all of the channels except HBO (for Deadwood and the Sopranos) and PBS.

Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Thumbs up Re: Nearing opening night.

Sorry, didn't mean to bum you out.
    Anyway, something happened to me on the way to the forum.

We never had our own "Theater" to rehearse in and put our musicals on. The town was going build or renovate an old school for us but opted to build a soccer field instead. Which is under water 78% of the season.
    Oh well, time to join an Alaskan Crab fishing outfit and take my chances on the high seas! Arrrrr mates!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    Maybe we should kill our TVs. Or at least get rid of all of the channels except HBO (for Deadwood and the Sopranos) and PBS.
    Oh yes and "Carnivale" as well!
    Styxx

Good luck Leopold Styxx! - break a leg! Keep those tails on. Let us know how opening nights goes.

Gary Garritan

Thanks Gary!

Tonights rehearsal was a bomb. Let's hope Sundays goes a bit better.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum