• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL Tightwads

Share/Bookmark

Red face VSL Tightwads

I've just been playing with Kontakt 2 and the accompanying library, and I noticed that VSL have been a little tight with their samples. The contrabassoon only has a range of a 6th and the bass clarinet about an octave. I suppose you might argue that they meet up with the bottom end of their respective higher counterparts, but still it was disappointing.

I've yet to try a lot of the instruments - hope this wasn't just a restricted demo collection aimed at making us buy the whole thing. I already have the whole thing on my Gigamachine, but was looking forward to having essential bits of it on my sequencing / Native Instruments machine.

Re: VSL Tightwads

Sounds like the "range extensions" on Opus, except having their own file. It seems like the other instruments would have full ranges?

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    I've just been playing with Kontakt 2 and the accompanying library, and I noticed that VSL have been a little tight with their samples. The contrabassoon only has a range of a 6th and the bass clarinet about an octave. I suppose you might argue that they meet up with the bottom end of their respective higher counterparts, but still it was disappointing.

I've yet to try a lot of the instruments - hope this wasn't just a restricted demo collection aimed at making us buy the whole thing. I already have the whole thing on my Gigamachine, but was looking forward to having essential bits of it on my sequencing / Native Instruments machine.

They are demos. Giga VSl has them too, albiet it has less content.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by -Ed
    They are demos. Giga VSl has them too, albiet it has less content.

Ed
    VSL is very conservative about ranges in many sections of their Pro Edition library too. Violins often don't go as high as some of the things I'm "covering" for clients as on the actual recording, and Horizon series instruments like the Saxes are way short of what is heard in many sax solos.

TH

VSL Gigasymphony didn't even have the Contrabasson or Bass Clarinet did it? No English Horn either.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

You should conceiveably be able to convert anything you want from the pro edition to Kontakt.

Go Back to forum