• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Which solo trumpet to use

Share/Bookmark

Which solo trumpet to use

I have a bunch of things that need a trumpet sound similar to the notes played at the end of Herb Alpert's old "This Guy's In love W/You". With the breath noise etc (or whatever that effect/style is). Which trumpets shall I check out for this? Thx.

Re: Which solo trumpet to use

Man, that's tough. The secrets of Herb's sound were his light, lazy attacks and the fact that he double tracked everything (ala The Carpenter's vocals) to get that thick chorused sound. You're almost better off hiring a trumpet player Good luck!

(Maybe Garritan Jazz Band will have some samples that will work but it's not out...)

Quote Originally Posted by mirage
    I have a bunch of things that need a trumpet sound similar to the notes played at the end of Herb Alpert's old "This Guy's In love W/You". With the breath noise etc (or whatever that effect/style is). Which trumpets shall I check out for this? Thx.

Hi,

there are none out there for that job believe me.
    This is a pop lead trumpet you are looking for with that breathy sound.
    Dan Dean's lead trumpet is as sweet as sugar from what I've listened too.
    When it comes to that extra air sound, there's none on the menu here.
    Sound developers are basically not focussed on pop-jazz. It's orchestral that's riding the waves.

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Yes, just to confirm from a trumpet player, there's nothing even close to that--not that you'd want it anyway. This kind of sound needs a session. It would be like depending on a sample library for a lead vocal. Not gonna happen.

Thanks guys. I was afraid that might be the case. I'll go hunt up a humanoid.

Actually...maybe I should get into the 21st century with this.

For at least for one of these demo things, do you guys know of someone who can/would record a real trumpet to wav (dry) of what I need for a small (very small fee) so that I can integrate it in to the daw for what I need?

I could email a snip of the r-e-a-l short backing section to someone who could overdub and generate a dry track of the few seconds I need? It's literally only about 15 or 16 plotted notes, no ad-lib, slow, spaced about like on the Herb Alpert thing. About fifteen or twenty seconds. The Herb Alpert feel is everything on those few notes.

As someone said, it probably requires the player to overdub two or three separate track passes of the same few notes to fatten it up like that recording I mentioned. It's worth a try to me if any of you can point me to a player. Thx.

Hey Mirage,
    I do the internet trumpet recording quite a bit. Sent you a pm. Let me know if you're interested.
    Thanks
    Tim

Maybe you could record a trumpeter blowing air through his horn and layer it on top of an orchestral trumpet? I'm not familiar with the sound of which you are reffering, but maybe you can give it a shot.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Maybe you could record a trumpeter blowing air through his horn and layer it on top of an orchestral trumpet? I'm not familiar with the sound of which you are reffering, but maybe you can give it a shot.

-Chris

Even with the air superimposed above a classical trumpet sample, you are still not dealing with a pop trumpet here having the desirable articulations us Jazz musicians are accustomed to hearing..

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Funny, I never thought of Alpert and Bacharach in the same breath!

Go Back to forum