• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How serious do you take your music?

Share/Bookmark

Question How serious do you take your music?

How serious do you think others take your music? Friends, relatives, broadcasting personnel, wife, co-workers, fellow students, professors, and anyone else you may have involved.
    What do you expect to gain either in the immediate or long term stretch? When you look back, what would you have done different that may have made you a better musician today?
    Me, I would have left Buffalo a long time ago and studied elsewhere where music is taken as a vital important part of our lives. Do you think the area one resides still has a profound impact on determining your success today as much as say ten or twenty years ago??
    Styxx

Re: How serious do you take your music?

Interesting question!

I wonder if it's possible to be too serious? The most important thing about music is that it sounds good. If it doesn't sound good, it's useless. There are some who may take it so seriously, that they lose sight of why they wanted to create it in the first place. You can know all the rules you want and be fixated on being the next Beethoven, but it's really not up to you how good your music will be received. It's up to the listeners. I guess this goes along with that other thread "who do we write music for?"

After the "who wants to be a master" thread, I was actually planning to bring up just this subject! I must have Styxx sense.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I don't know about relatives, but my Composition profesor takes my music serious enough to give me letters of recommendation for Grad school and competions.
    I also have a friend I have known for years than pulled together a chamber orchestra to premiere my Bassoon Concerto. He still performs an atonal unaccompanied bassoon solo I wrote for him a while back. He and his wife are going to premiere the Trio for Bassoon, Flute, and Piano and some other pieces in the near future.

Now, I don't know if that means he takes it seriously, he might be just doing me a favor.... hm..... now I'm paronoid. It may be time to go to Lincoln, Nebraska with a case of beer and find out the truth!

I really hope the people at UMKC Music Conservatory take my music seriously!!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Thumbs up Re: How serious do you take your music?

I must have Styxx sense.
    Sean, Great minds think alike!
    Styxx

Styxx is asking us if we take something seriously??? (Hee, hee, hee...)

-JF

Others take my commitment seriously, if not the music itself (which is a bit inaccessible to many ears). They know I'm in it for the long haul.

My father realised this when watching me play in my jazz combo in high school and later listening to the tapes I made when he drove me back and forth from college between semesters (8 hour haul!). It was a personal high when he brought me to the music store and had me pick out a guitar one Xmas: at that point I knew I'd made it in his eyes. (it's still my main guitar 12+ years later, having survived a few challengers to the throne)

My mother is only now starting to realise I can make something of this music thing, after having unthinkingly insulted, downplayed, and nay-sayed my dedication and achievements over the years. Yes, she's the one who laughed when I announced, "Music is my life", and told me that I should stick to a real job and keep music as a hobby. Ouch.

I'm in solid with my brother's film group. They know I'm a go-to guy for their projects and not just "Mike's brother".

In the immediate future I hope to work full-time on music technology products, specifically humanistic MIDI performance models, resynthesis of acoustic instruments, and sample library development.

I don't know if would want to change anything in my past: I think where I ended up and how I got here has given me a unique blend of knowledge of computers, music, and human cognition that's of value to the creative community.

I suppose the one thing I would've done differently could be to do all the same stuff as a millionaire, so I could get to this point a lot faster!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

I am passionate about my music. I wish there were more hours in the day so I could spend more time with it.

I think very few people realize how serious I take my music. A couple might, a few others are beginning to, but for the most part people think it is a hobby, like collecting coins, not an essential part of my life that makes me who I am.

I don’t know how seriously people take my actual music – from the response I usually get on pieces I post on this forum, not very. Hopefully that will change someday…

In the short term I want to learn as much as possible, build my skills and build a portfolio. In the mid term (no, not an exam) I want to see some of my pieces played. In the long term I would like to be able to take an early retirement from my “day job” and devote all of my time and energy to composing.

Years ago I spent 20 minutes reading through a harmony book. With that cursory glance I didn’t see anything I didn’t know already and so never bother to pick one up again until about a year, year and a half ago. That was by far the biggest mistake of my musical life. Always finding an excuse to not take piano lessons is the second biggest mistake.
    Trent P. McDonald

"The end of a thing (everything) touch the beginning of its opposite....

and now ,seriously, start to laugh"

a Japanese ZEN master

So I could say: "The end af a music touch the beginning of the silence...
    Can we say what of these we would like to hear now?"

Francesco
    from the ITALIAN HEADSQUEEZER CENTER

Smile Re: How serious do you take your music?

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    "The end of a thing (everything) touch the beginning of its opposite....

and now ,seriously, start to laugh"

a Japanese ZEN master

So I could say: "The end af a music touch the beginning of the silence...
    Can we say what of these we would like to hear now?"

Francesco
    from the ITALIAN HEADSQUEEZER CENTER
    Could it be? .... Yes! It is! Francesco, Maestro the man of Italy comes to visit once again! How are you Maestro and how is Italy? I heard you had a Bush in the middle of things?

In answer to your reply ..... HUH? You're not going to do this to me when I visit Italy, are you?
    Allways a pleasure to hear from you, Maestro.
    Styxx

I've been thinking about this question a little more . . .

From a listener point of view, and this may come from my ego troll, I can't say I care how serious the composer is or was. When I listen to a piece, and never say to myself "wow, this is serious!" I either enjoy the piece, or I don't (or I enjoy some of it, but not all). That's the most important thing. I don't say "well, it's not very good, but the composer says he's serious, so I guess I'll give him some credit." Nope! So from a listener perspective, seriousness is irrelevant.

From a composer's point of view, I think everyone has to be somewhat serious. I don't see how it can be otherwise.

However, I do believe there are important things in life that will always have priority over music.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum