• Register
  • Help

Topic: Opinions on the PMI Bosendorfer 290?

Share/Bookmark

Opinions on the PMI Bosendorfer 290?

Howdy all! Those in the know, please let me know what you think of the PMI Bosendorfer 290, both solo and as a piano to mix with an orchestral library.

...and anyone who says "do a search for it" can bite me.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Wink Re: Opinions on the PMI Bosendorfer 290?

Hi Wes,

I don´t bite you.

Bosendorfer 290 is a good piano. Its always a subjektive decision. I would prefer the PMI "Old Lady". (And please look at SteinyD/Black Grand from sampletekk)

..threre will be new important possibilities with Kontakt 2 and PMI. Look here:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33208

(And my english realy is not very good..)

Re: Opinions on the PMI Bosendorfer 290?

Thank you for the link!
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

that "bite me" comment is too funny Wes!

The PMI Bos is a good piano. I also have the Old Lady but prefer the Bos.

The Bos has a good amount of ambience in the sound which seems to help with the realism.

I have this piano and like it a lot. It's a full, rich sound. I sometimes think it's not quite right for jazz, pop etc however. Something about the ambience makes it sound very classical (to my ear) and makes it difficult to tweak the sound to other purposes.

I use it in my live rig and find the built-in ambience a bit of a problem, as it tends not to sound good pumped up through a PA. I have found that even the so-called "dry" samples have too much of this. On the other hand, I have recently got around it by using the "dry no release" patch, which leaves out the release samples, and sounds a lot better for the purpose.

I love the Bos 290. I use it in a wide variety of styles, including very exposed contexts, and no one would ever know it wasn't the real deal.

Sincerely,

Rob

Out of Ultimate Piano, Galaxy Steinway 5.1 and the PMI, the PMI 290 is my default and most favorite piano. It can go from poppy and bright to dark and intimate, to classical-sounding, and it works well with an orchestra too.

Thanks everyone!

Go Back to forum