• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help for a Novice

Share/Bookmark

Help for a Novice

Although I bought all the GPO stuff last year, I am only just finding time to really get stuck into it. Perhaps, I am not reading the manuals and Help properly but I am finding that really simple things are difficult to solve. There are 2 things that I hope you more experienced guys can help me with:

1) I was hoping to hear my nicely thought out dynamics pp, mf ffff and crescendos playback from the supplied Overture software. Try as I might, nothing seemed to work. The Help implied that I could change the values of the velocity for each dynamic marking but nothing made any difference. What do I have to do? Does the upgrade to the full version make any difference? I have bought it anyway as it cheaper than Sibelius.

2) Latency - I managed to get to the point where I could input music directly onto a track in Overture. However, I found that the time lag between pressing the key and hearing the GPO sound was such that you couldn't really use this method. I tried altering the buffer size but this didn't seem to make much difference. I have a fairly good machine with a Pentium P4 and I GB of RAM. Can anyone suggest the best settings to reduce the latency?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Re: Help for a Novice

Alan, I would suggest running through my Overture tutorials.

Also, when placing dynamic markings on the score, make sure and double click on them and tell them to send midi control data for modulation/mod wheel instead of volume. It is set to send volume data by default. This should take care of that problem.

Latency has a little to do with system specs, but you'll find your sound card driver will make the biggest difference. What type of soundcard are you using? Also, have you tried picking a different driver in GPO Studio?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Alan, I would suggest running through my Overture tutorials.

Also, when placing dynamic markings on the score, make sure and double click on them and tell them to send midi control data for modulation/mod wheel instead of volume. It is set to send volume data by default. This should take care of that problem.
    Definitely work thru the Overture tutorials, they're are a great help.

Also, on some instruments like piano and certain percussion, you need to set the Overture dynamics to send to Velocity instead of Modulation (I think it's Velocity...Joseph please correct me if I got that wrong).

Jim

You are right. All percussion and keyed instruments require velocity dynamics. This also applies to pizzicato and some of the short bowed string instruments.

Go Back to forum