• Register
  • Help

Topic: Suspended Cymbal question

Share/Bookmark

Suspended Cymbal question

Hi,

I am a junior music composition and theory student at Jacksonville University, and I am already very interested in music technology. I also am really impressed with the Garritan Personal Orchestra product.

I do have a question, though, on the suspended cymbal patch. Is there a way to alter the length of the crescendo? There seems to really only be a set length to the roll no matter how hard the note attack or high the volume is set. Thanks for any help.

Andy

Re: Suspended Cymbal question

Quote Originally Posted by apcmusicman
    I do have a question, though, on the suspended cymbal patch. Is there a way to alter the length of the crescendo? There seems to really only be a set length to the roll no matter how hard the note attack or high the volume is set.
    I assume you are talking about the recorded crescendo cymbal roll on A#5. Two possibilities:

1. Place the end of the crescendo roll at the desired location and then draw volume information to shape the speed of the crescendo leading up to that release. Or send the cymbal to a separate channel of your sequencer and automate the fader to shape the speed of the crescendo. If you chose to draw volume data into the track you would need to activate cc7 in the player's Options menu. This would also require using a separate slot in the player for just this cymbal roll if any other percussion in the same patch was being used at the same time.

2. Use either the G#5 or the A5 and play in your own crescendo. Both of these use the mod wheel to control volume. Hold the note down and move the mod wheel to see what I mean. You can play any type of crescendo/diminuendo you like using these two notes. The difference between the two is the A5 adds a final hit at the release. This approach is the easiest and most practical solution.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    2. Use either the G#5 or the A5 and play in your own crescendo. Both of these use the mod wheel to control volume. Hold the note down and move the mod wheel to see what I mean. You can play any type of crescendo/diminuendo you like using these two notes. The difference between the two is the A5 adds a final hit at the release. This approach is the easiest and most practical solution.
    I've tried this and have heard no difference between G#5 and A5. I'm expecting something that after you let go of the piano key, you'll hear a final strike that will decay as a normal cymbal does. That doesn't happen. If it's supposed to happen, could someone tell me what I'm supposed to do?

So as a workaround, I timed a normal cymbal crash for the end of the roll. There's a crash that has about the same timbre, around D or Eb. But I'd rather have the end of the cymbal roll just decay because then you get an actual woosh without an attack/strike sound.

Quote Originally Posted by tangrams
    I've tried this and have heard no difference between G#5 and A5. I'm expecting something that after you let go of the piano key, you'll hear a final strike that will decay as a normal cymbal does. That doesn't happen. If it's supposed to happen, could someone tell me what I'm supposed to do?

So as a workaround, I timed a normal cymbal crash for the end of the roll. There's a crash that has about the same timbre, around D or Eb. But I'd rather have the end of the cymbal roll just decay because then you get an actual woosh without an attack/strike sound.
    The release hit on the A5 is quite obvious to me when I listen to it but it is a single "ping" strike and not the kind of "woosh" you are looking for. The alternative is to use the G#5 and the crash but to place them on separate slots in the player so that you can use volume data to accomplish a crossfade. If you crossfade into the crash you won't hear the strike of the crash, just the decay.

Tom

Go Back to forum