• Register
  • Help

Topic: First steps

Share/Bookmark

First steps

Have GPO all of 2 weeks and so far have crossed (with great help from Forum) a few barriers. So far I have orchestrated a composition (16 instruments), a string quartet movement and a tango for string section. Some old midi files sound better now, having shed the outdated GM sounds, so I am overall pleased with my progress.
    However the next barrier to overcome is - to make some of those melodic lines smoother with legato. I use GPO with the bundled Cubasis VST 4.0.
    I have selected a track, opened the key editor, and in bottom left corner have selected "sustain" option. At this point I reached a dead end, as my midi knowhow has run out! The Cubasis Manual doesn't enlighten me as it assumes knowhow I haven't got as yet.
    So if anyone can offer some assistance in this I will be greatly obliged.

Re: First steps

Exactly what do you need to know?
    The sustain petal will chop off the attack portion of the sample, making a legato effect.
    The sustain petal down is #0-63 and petal up is #64-127 (I think).
    Is this what you need to know?

Hope this helps,
    Chris

Thanks Chris. I don't have a keyboard attached, I just want to apply legato to phrases in existing midi file using editor (or whatever) in Cubasis VST 4.
    As I haven't done this before and am new to midi, what exactly do I do and very important - how?
    Regards
    Eugene

Ahh!!
    I getcha!
    I'm a Cakewalk user, have never really gotten to know Steinberg, so I'll try to explain it to the best of my ability.
    First what you want to do is make sure that all of the notes have absolutely NO spaces between them in the piano roll view. Maybe even a slight overlap.
    Then you want to depress the sustain petal AFTER the first note of the phrase. Since the sustain petal chops off the attack of the note, you want the attack for the first note of a phrase. So you do just that. If you want a bowed note in there somewhere, just release the sustain petal for the begining of that note and depress it again for legato.
    Now, to add in a sustain petal MIDI event, you must go the view that lets you add controler events. Go to CC 64. This is the sustain pedal control. Values 0-63 are pedal up, and values 64-127 are pedal down. That is how you move the vitrual sustain pedal. Check the user manuel or help menu of Cubasis and look for 'Controler Events' or somthing like that.

I hope this helps.

It's midnight, so I really have no clue if this will make sence in the morning!

-Chris

I have a keyboard but don't use it much at the moment. For legato in Overture, select all the notes you want to be in the legato phrase except the last one, open modify notes and you will find a legato option which extends the selected note lengths to 100 percent. You don't select the last note of the phrase because that would destroy the attack on the first note of the next phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene
    ...I have selected a track, opened the key editor, and in bottom left corner have selected "sustain" option. At this point I reached a dead end, as my midi knowhow has run out! ...
    In the key editor you can use the "pencil-tool"(right-click) and draw the midi-events for the sustain controller.
    (To be able to draw the graphics use the "alt" on the computerkeyboard)

No drawings - no sustaineffect.

I´ve learned alot reading the tutorials for Overture, see the tutorial explaining the graphical windows. It´s almost the same idea as in Cubase VST 4.0.

Thomas
    "Every journey, even one of a thousand miles, begins with a single step."

You can also try opening the track in Staff View. This will give you a notation of your midi data. You can then, using the pencil tool, insert a pedal marking where you want it. Then move the "pedal off" trigger (*) to just after the legato phrase ends. I find this method just a little easier to deal with visually.

Go Back to forum