• Register
  • Help

Topic: Platinum on only one computer?

Share/Bookmark

Platinum on only one computer?

Greetings.

(I'm re-posting this here, since I've yet to get a useful answer elsewhere.)

There's one aspect of Platinum that I really need clarity on, and I'd really appreciate anyone's knowledgable insight:

There's been lots of talk about one computer not being enough to use Platinum, and that has me concerned. I'm getting ready to buy a new Mac Dual G5; whatever their current fastest speed is. I'd be using Platinum as an adjunct to my jazz and pop productions. I'm not an orchestral composer as most of you are, but want to take advantage of EWQLSO's quality in my productions. That being the case, I'd probably be mostly using the closest/dryest miking technique most of the time, and adding reverb after the fact, unless the wetter miking techniques just "happened" to fit with the rest of my mix.

So I wouldn't be doing full orchestral mock-ups, but using Platinum as the orchestral component in my jazz and pop work. Everything (sequencing, other plug-ins, Vintaudio C4), would be taking place on the one and only aformentioned Mac Dual G5.

So, will one top-of-the-line Mac Dual G5 with tons of RAM, be sufficient? If not, I'll probably stick with Gold. I look forward to your responses. Thanks!

Re: Platinum on only one computer?

I'm curious about this too. How far can you get on your average modern system with 1.5 gigs of ram? Using only one of the mic positions, but with NO bouncing or freezing (that just doesn't fit into my personal work flow), just how much can you get running?

Heck, I'm even willing to go to 4-6 gigs of ram if it'll get the job done..... Anybody?

I know Leogardini uses Platinum in a single Pentium 4 HT Machine, and he does marvelous compositions with his setup.
    RAM is never enough though, if you can afford 4 Gb, then do it.

Good Luck

Thanks Guga. I'll just consider the 4 gigs the cost of doing business.

I'm not an orchestral composer as most of you are, but want to take advantage of EWQLSO's quality in my productions. That being the case, I'd probably be mostly using the closest/dryest miking technique most of the time, and adding reverb after the fact,

hmmm....ok.....so why are you buying Platinum again? I mean the whole idea of Platinum is that you get to use the reverbs. I say save your cash for some extra RAM and stick with Gold. The sonic differences are minimal, especially considering your particular usage!

Also, you should know that currently some applications are restricted by how much RAM they can access....so you can have 20 gigs or RAM in your machine, but if Kompakt can only access 2 then the rest is a complete waste. Tiger will fix some of this, but I suspect that additional code rewrites will be needed for more RAM to be available to all the apps.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Midphase,
    Also, you should know that currently some applications are restricted by how much RAM they can access....so you can have 20 gigs or RAM in your machine, but if Kompakt can only access 2 then the rest is a complete waste. Tiger will fix some of this, but I suspect that additional code rewrites will be needed for more RAM to be available to all the apps.
    I'm getting the extra ram to accomodate Logic 7, Gold or Platinum, and numerous other plugins as well. Toward that end, I think that 4-6 gigs of ram is reasonable.
    hmmm....ok.....so why are you buying Platinum again? I mean the whole idea of Platinum is that you get to use the reverbs.
    The only reason that I'm even considering getting Platinum is to get access to the samples dry, instead of having the reverb built into the sample, as Gold does. Do you feel that my thinking is backward? For pop and jazz non-orchestral music, this would seem to be more appropriate and more flexible. If there's a better alternative for my specific situation, I'm open to suggestions...

Well, if you just want dry stuff.. I think VSL might make more sense. QLSO is really meant for a grand orchestral sound, and imo, it's not that flexible. VSL's sound is quite dry to begin with and it seems like it can be adapted for pretty much any genre or style.

Go Back to forum