• Register
  • Help

Topic: Here is another thought for you ...

Share/Bookmark

Here is another thought for you ...

What if the ideas, the inspirations, the sounds inside suddenly ceased? What if the desires to even listen to your own music abruptly halted? What an awful thought. What dreadful circumstances could cause such a fatality?
    Styxx

Re: Here is another thought for you ...

Styxx, you just scared the hell out of me with that question. I think I'd have to get heavily into illegal substances at that point.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    What if the ideas, the inspirations, the sounds inside suddenly ceased? What if the desires to even listen to your own music abruptly halted? What an awful thought. What dreadful circumstances could cause such a fatality?
    This actually happened to me after 9/11. It was like someone turned off the radio that had always been playing in my head. I'd particulary notice this when I would go for walks where normally, the rythm of walking would always suggest some tune or other. Instead just kind of a weird silence.

I didn't go near my studio or guitars for about two weeks. I think we've all forgotten just how weird that time was when nobody knew what was going to happen next.

Anyway, it was obviously temporary. I'm sure any more personal trauma would probably have the same effect only more pronounced. I just hope there's nothing that could happen that could make that silence permanant.
    - Layne

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    This can happen if you get a stroke or a brain injury. I mentioned it in some other thread. If a certain area of the brain is injured, some language cognition part, music sounds random, and I'm sure it would be very difficult, if not impossible to compose.

There was a famous composer that this did happen to. I can't remember who it was though. Towards the end of his life, he said he could write no more.

But I don't think it would be such a bad thing, not if you don't have the desire. What would be scary is if you did have the desire, but couldn't do it.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

If Aaron Copland were still alive, you could ask him.

When people reject his less tonal music he became very depressed at did not compose at all for the last years of his life. Which is a shame because is less tonal music still sounded very beautiful. Much like Shoenberg's later music.

It could happen to any one of us. It happens for many reasons. But, why think of it now?

Worst I have had is some writers block and a bad case of New Age Music for a while.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum