• Register
  • Help

Topic: Symphonic marimba waveforms?

Share/Bookmark

Question Symphonic marimba waveforms?

Hey, all.
    I've been making, for fun, all those annoying sounds that happen when you click 'start', or open a program, or send a file command........
    And I have this grand symphonic marimba diddy that clicks at the end. I took a look at the waveforms, and they go up further and further from the 0 point. The waves were perfectly normal, but it was like the waveforms went up on a slant off the 0 line. Then at the end the waveform was so high that when it snapped back down to 0 an aweful click arose.

I used the GPO DXi with Cakewalk Music Creator 2002. I just did a normal audio export. It was the export with the click, not the waveforms coming streight from GPO.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Chris

Re: Symphonic marimba waveforms?

Hi, Chris.

Not sure if this will help or not, but...

Have you tried extending the "blank space" after the note is struck in your sequencer, and then re-export?

I have found that if the clip in my sequencer is no longer than the note value itself, then I get clipping when I export. Extending the clip length will result in the note decaying naturally, and you'll probably get some silence tagged on the end, which you can removed manually with an WAV file editor.

Do you follow me?
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

I follow you, but I left plenty of decay time.
    I'll post an MP3 once I figure out how with a host site.
    It's really weird.

I'll get it up some time l8er today.

Thanks for the tip, though. It could work.
    I'll try it!

-Chris

Here's the .wav:
    Try importing it into your sequencer so you can see the waveforms.

Please tell me if the link doesn't work.

http://www.archive.org/download/Mari.../marimbaup.wav

-Chris

The link works; but I must say this is an unusually short piece.

Ahem. [Doffs cap stolen from university professor.] I would suggest a somewhat longer exposition, here; and definitely, the development section is far too paltry, considering the power and resonance of the introductory theme. Likewise, the recapitulation, at least to me, seems to be a mere shadow of the opening material...

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hmm. I see your problem.

No matter where I trim the end off the sample, it still pops. Bizarre.

I'll give this some more thought... in the meantime, maybe your soundcard is suspect? Do you experience similar issues if you export audio in other apps?
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaFlyer
    Hmm. I see your problem.

No matter where I trim the end off the sample, it still pops. Bizarre.

I'll give this some more thought... in the meantime, maybe your soundcard is suspect? Do you experience similar issues if you export audio in other apps?
    I have no other apps that export audio. It's only the symphonic marimba that gives me problems. What does my soundcard have to do with all this? OK, I know that sounded mean, but I really don't know. I thought that an audio export was all done within the software program. The MIDI goes to the plugin and the plugin renders its audio and the audio is what you get. Where does the soundcard come into play?
    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    The link works; but I must say this is an unusually short piece.
    To quote myself:
    Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    I've been making, for fun, all those annoying sounds that happen when you click 'start', or open a program, or send a file command........
    This is actually a really fun thing to do. I have it set up so that all of the sounds are set to a common key and that each one has a chord that resolves with the next.
    For example, the menu popup sound (when you click 'start', 'programs', etc.) is a similiar diddy as the marimba one, but in a glockenspeil in a G chord. Then when you click something on that start menu you have the menu command sound, which is the one above, a C major chord. I guess I could do more creative resolutions, but I'm just experimenting right now.
    Maybe I can post an entire GPO set of windows noises!

Hmmm.........

-Chris

Go Back to forum