• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Topic: Check out this trailer...

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Check out this trailer...

    www.nolongerifilms.com/video/lwp_trailer.mov

    i've been wanting to get into film music for a while now and i finally got an opporunity. i recently finished work on my very first film project. i did all of the music for the entire documentary and the director has put up a trailer for the film. i also did the trailer music which is a variation of the film's "theme."

    take a listen and give me your comments please. i expect constructive criticizm, but please be nice?

    in case you are interested, that's worra's white grand piano that was used as the sole piano sound for the entire film. thanks worra!

    todd

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Budleigh Salterton
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: Check out this trailer...

    Quote Originally Posted by twwilso
    take a listen and give me your comments please. i expect constructive criticizm, but please be nice?

    todd
    Very nice and non obtrusive Todd. Very well shot too. Very clear. It's hard to imagine any other music now - after seeing and hearing. I think you set the tone really well - slightly mystical - you know - what's coming? And all those interesting accents!

    There was only one thing that scared me though.

  3. #3

    Re: Check out this trailer...

    Sorry to say this, but it sounds like what I'd expect from some hack composer. Oh wait, sorry, I had one of MY tracks running and I forgot to hit mute! (Stupid joke, but I really, really, really don't want to get back to work on this show I'm doing.)

    Anyway, I think you absolutely nailed the music on this trailer! Really well done!

    I'm not normally a fan of piano in film work, because it so often sounds cliche (I'm thinking of all those low budget Lifetime movies), but this works perfectly and I completely agree with your decision to use piano.

    There's a low drone that has like a buzzing tone to it. Is that the same guitar we hear at the end? It works really well.

    - Mike Greene

  4. #4

    Re: Check out this trailer...

    I like the subtle way the intensity builds.

    I've just got one question... Don't the people in the film have jobs?

    -JF

  5. #5

    Re: Check out this trailer...

    Hey Todd -

    Great stuff. I was talking to Dan about this and what a good job he and you did on it.

    Congrats,

    Eric
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media
    www.moondogmedia.net

  6. #6

    Re: Check out this trailer...

    Hi everyone, thanks for listening and your responses! it was a really fun project to work on and the director, Dan from NoLongeri Films, was an absolute pleasure to work with. i am amazed at some of the lighting and shots he got and how beautiful they look for 'just a documentary.' hopefully he will be able to get a distribution deal.


    Quote Originally Posted by PaulR

    There was only one thing that scared me though.
    so PaulR, what was the one thing that scared you?

    Also, Mike Greene asked about the droning guitar. Yes that's the same guitar you hear fading out at the end. all it is is an acoustic guitar running through some effects in guitar rig. i'm sure there are tons of other software effects i should have used and some people might think i'm crazy, but ALL effects in this film were guitar rig! even the piano sounds with reverb. to MY ears i loved how it sounded. plus, i don't have tons of money to buy too much software. this was my first time using softsynths and kontakt, and all of that. before i used strickly hardware devices, but this time the only thing that was hardware was the bass guitar. every thing else was soft.

    anyways, thanks again for the comments.

    todd

  7. #7

    Re: Check out this trailer...

    Good work !!

    Keep it up

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Budleigh Salterton
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: Check out this trailer...

    Quote Originally Posted by twwilso
    so PaulR, what was the one thing that scared you?
    todd
    The fact that Americans can go onto a golf course wearing round neck T-Shirts!

    Also, I've made a study of American accents! I have become a foremost authority on this, to the point where I can now pinpoint an American's original home town to within 3000 miles!

  9. #9

    Re: Check out this trailer...

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    Also, I've made a study of American accents! I have become a foremost authority on this, to the point where I can now pinpoint an American's original home town to within 3000 miles!
    As long as they're not from Alaska or Hawaii!

    - Mike

  10. #10

    Re: Check out this trailer...

    Quote Originally Posted by twwilso
    www.nolongerifilms.com/video/lwp_trailer.mov

    i've been wanting to get into film music for a while now and i finally got an opporunity. i recently finished work on my very first film project. i did all of the music for the entire documentary and the director has put up a trailer for the film. i also did the trailer music which is a variation of the film's "theme."

    take a listen and give me your comments please. i expect constructive criticizm, but please be nice?

    in case you are interested, that's worra's white grand piano that was used as the sole piano sound for the entire film. thanks worra!

    todd
    Excellent work. The music is perfect. The video was shot very well also -- beautifully lit.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •