• Register
  • Help

Topic: Defrag'ing Hardrive

Share/Bookmark

Defrag'ing Hardrive

Anyone defragging their audio drive/s?

I've heard mixed reports recently on whether it's OK to do. I have been, every couple of months but what's everyone else doing?
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

Re: Defrag'ing Hardrive

Best way to defrag an audio drive and avoid any issues with defrag programs, is to drag/copy all of the data off the drive onto a seperate firewire drive or another partition with free space. Wipe the original audio only drive and then drag/copy everything back to the original drive. It will copy the files back to the original location in sequencial order and there will be no fragmented files. This is the "poor man's" defrag routine. But, it really saves the headache hassle of some defrag procedure that might not put all the pieces back in the right spots.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

What exactly are the issues concerning defragging? I didn't know there were any and was about to defrag my drive using Norton Utilities.

Thanks,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rob morsberger
    What exactly are the issues concerning defragging? I didn't know there were any and was about to defrag my drive using Norton Utilities.

Thanks,

Rob
    I'm primarily producing on ProTools, so i was on the digidesign forum the other night, and there was a thread that talked about defraging being bad for audio applications within ProTools (whether the principle is the same for Logic & Cubase etc.. i'm not sure, but would guess so). The issues had to do with problems/errors arrising from locating audio.

Digidesign apparently have officially discoraged defragmenting hard disks for Protools users and elswhere within the thread, the suggestion was made that reformatting is the best approach to cleaning up a disk.

Apparaently, Nortons was discoraged the most for this task. Sorry Rob!

But, as I said, this may just be a protools thing. I don't know.
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

Go Back to forum