• Register
  • Help

Topic: help please GPO pcr-50

Share/Bookmark

help please GPO pcr-50

hi everybody just a quick question, Im about to buy a new midi master controller, and Im trying to decide between the M-audio Radium49 , and the
    Edirol PCR-50 , seems that the PCR-50 is clearly better and a bit more expensive , so I was going to buy the PCR-50, but I have this doubt,

the Radium49 has two wheels separated, one for pitch bend and another for modulation, two nice wheels

the PCR-50 has both pitch bend and modulation integrated in one single kind of wheel

I have the roland pc-180 which has the same and I never liked that kind of control

and because garritan controls volume all through the modulation wheel I wanted to ask u if any of u has used the GPO with the pcr-50 and if it worked ok for you and if u are happy with the modulation control in the PCR-50,

the people in the shop tell me that of course you can assign any of the switches sliders etc to the modulation controller so that u dont have to use that double pitchbend-modulation control and u can control the modulation with any other slider etc, do u think thats a good solution? have u done that?

basically from the radium49 I like its two separated wheels, and from the PCR-50 I like all the rest, so what to choose, I just want to know if you have used any of them with the GPO and which one was better for you

the radium49 is this one:
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...um49-main.html

and the edirol pcr-50 is this one:
    http://www.edirol.com/products/info/pcr50.html

thank you in advance for your help and advice

Javi

Re: help please GPO pcr-50

I have an Edirol PCR-30 that I use on my lap for quick entry while in front of the PC. My bigger Kawai K1 is off to the side for stuff that I need more octaves for, but I honestly haven't used it in ages.

The PCR mod-wheel/pitch-wheel combination controller doesn't work well for GPO because the mod-wheel axis is spring-loaded. However, I did assign one of my sliders to mod-wheel data (CC#1) and never looked back after that: I prefer sliders for fine control, anyway! (my other sliders in that group also control Channel Aftertouch, Expression (CC#11), and Breath (CC#2))

The PCR-30 is one of my favorite controllers ever: I've returned my share of other boards for not liking the feel! It fits my taste perfectly, but people have different needs.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

This is a good thread. I am also thinking of purchasing a PCR-M80 yet I had the same question on the mod/pitch control. However, I wasn't quite worried because most often I end up editing the curves regardless. Nice to know one can assign a slider for mod control. Would you say it yields a finer curve overall?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Would you say it yields a finer curve overall?
    Definitely: the range of motion for the slider is at least 4 times that of the pitch/mod "wang-bar" control, so you can make finer tweaks, plus you're not fighting the spring-loaded nature of it that always brings it back to zero.

And I know what you mean: I always end up drawing curves anyway.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

My plans are to go to Guitar Center tonight and play around with the new PCR-M80. From what I have read and heard, the feel of the keys have been greatly improved. We shall see.
    Styxx

thank u all a lot for all this info, I think that I may then buy the pcr-50 and assign the modulation to one of the sliders, sounds good
    thank u

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    My plans are to go to Guitar Center tonight and play around with the new PCR-M80. From what I have read and heard, the feel of the keys have been greatly improved. We shall see.

anybody has tried the new pcr-m50?

Quote Originally Posted by javismiles
    thank u all a lot for all this info, I think that I may then buy the pcr-50 and assign the modulation to one of the sliders, sounds good
    thank u

Thumbs up Re: help please GPO pcr-50

Well, I'll tell you. The keys on the PCR-M80 felt great! No sharp edges and a gliss is like butter. You forget your on a plastic keyboard. The feel for me was nice better than I expected compared to most synth keyboards. No clunky Keystation or Roland FP simulated hammer piano feel. It was quite responsive and easy to use. I do like the 12 velocity settings but didn't have much time to play with them. I'm sold. As for the joystick pitch/mod control, well what can you say. Find the spring and take it out of there! Just a thought. There are enough sliders to do the trick so there shouldn't be a problem.
    As for the PCR-M30, M50, I feel confined with a smaller keyboard. I am used to at least 61 keys so the smaller models were not an option. They are exactly the same as the M80 with all controls respectively. My suggestion, to try one of these new babies out first.
    Oh, almost forgot. I did a hand to hand comparison of the PCR-80 and PCR-M80. The M80 has most improved feel for the money!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum