• Register
  • Help

Topic: .gig files

Share/Bookmark

.gig files

How many instruments can a .gig file hold? I don't understand. I load the VSL section violins (just one .gig file) and maybe nine instruments come up, each with a different articulation. How many instruments are in a .gig file? How does it all work? How do you unload a .gig file or any instrument? Can I create a .gig file that only has one instrument in it? How do you load just an instrument without loading all of the instruments in that .gig file? When will I stop asking annoying simple dumb questions?

-Chris

Re: .gig files

A gig file has one or more instruments. They are organized in Banks. Each bank can have up to 128 instruments (0-127). You can have over 65,000 banks, so the number of instruments in a gig file is essentially limitless.

To load just one instrument in a gig, expand it in the QuickSound window, and just load what you need.

Thanks, Bill.
    So if I decide to make a solo violin that consists of many instruments, I can organize it into banks all inside a single .gig file?
    Gigastudio's really cool!!!

-Chris

Yes, or you can use the "dimension" feature and have them all in the same instrument.

True, but I try to make it so that you only load what you have to using the instrument stacking.

What I do (well, going to do! ) is I create one instrument for each keyswitch. I can't explain it without an example.

Say you want to have an instrument with three keyswitches: sustain, stacatto, and trills. The sustain instrument would have the keyswitch C trigger sustain patches, and the D and E keyswitches would trigger silence. The Stacatto instrument would have the keyswitch D that triggered stacatto patches, and the keyswitches C and E would trigger silence. The trill instrument would have keyswitch E trigger trill patches, and the keyswitches C and D would trigger silence.

The same concept can be applied to any control.

That way, you can stack the instruments, but still only have one instrument playing at one time. This saves RAM and MIDI channels. It's especially useful for stringed instruments that have articulations beyond the limits of 127 dimensions. Using this concept, you can have unlimited dimensions only limited by your computer!

Go Back to forum