• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finale keyswitch/dynamic question

Share/Bookmark

Finale keyswitch/dynamic question

Does anyone know how to differentiate between a note expression, for example, ff, for string pizzicato, where velocity is affected and string arco where controller 1 is used? This also applies to other instruments that use velocity (percussion)

Thanks in advance

jp

Re: Finale keyswitch/dynamic question

I am fairly sure that using human playback does this automatically.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    I am fairly sure that using human playback does this automatically.
    I would have thought so too, but in the text expression designer you have a choice of one or the other for playback. I must be missing something. I've tried human playback on, off, sideways, different options, everything!

jp

HP does this if optimize for GPO is checked, and use mod wheel for volume is checked, and you have used the correct staff names.

I don't know whether using a "pizzacato" expression is enough to make HP change from mod to velocity.

If you don't use HP you need to create two sets of expressions - one with the playback affecting mod wheel, the other with playback affecting velocity.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by jpj2k
    Does anyone know how to differentiate between a note expression, for example, ff, for string pizzicato, where velocity is affected and string arco where controller 1 is used? This also applies to other instruments that use velocity (percussion)

Thanks in advance

jp
    Hopefully Robert Piechaud will respond. Robert has mentioned before that the staff name is one of the factors in determining how HP interprets dynamics. It'll be interesting to find out if "pizz." & "arco" also affect the HP/GPO integration.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Hopefully Robert Piechaud will respond. Robert has mentioned before that the staff name is one of the factors in determining how HP interprets dynamics. It'll be interesting to find out if "pizz." & "arco" also affect the HP/GPO integration.

Jeff
    Thanks all.
    I do have GPO optimization and use modwheel checked and have used the Finale staff names. I think two sets of expressions could be the answer. Now, what to call them... ah, a space

jp

jp,

You could easily create an hidden expression which is set to a velocity setting. You could see it onscreen, but it wouldn't print.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    jp,

You could easily create an hidden expression which is set to a velocity setting. You could see it onscreen, but it wouldn't print.

Jeff
    Thank you Jeff, that'sa what I'll do :-)

Hi JP,

You're right: HP currently doesn't deal very well with pizz passages using GPO. I am conscious of this limitation and am working on it.
    Stay tuned...

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Piéchaud
    Hi JP,

You're right: HP currently doesn't deal very well with pizz passages using GPO. I am conscious of this limitation and am working on it.
    Stay tuned...

Robert
    Thanks Robert

Is it the same deal with percussion?

jp

Go Back to forum