• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Trombone Slides

Share/Bookmark

Trombone Slides

Hi,

I'm currently recording backing tracks for a local school production of 'Les Miserables'. The lead in to the Innkeeper's Song requires a long slide on the trombone of D->A and lasting several seconds. This slide is completely exposed and I'm having trouble making it sound realistic. A sound like a police siren would be my crude description of the sound I currently have!

The one or two semitone slides in other places sound fine using the pitch bend wheel. I was wondering whether you think this large interval is beyond the limits of what I could reasonably achieve with GPO? If you think I could do it, then any pearls of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Re: Trombone Slides

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Westwood
    Hi,

The lead in to the Innkeeper's Song requires a long slide on the trombone of D->A

Ian
    D to A would require a long slide - longer than the one on a trombone. The longest slide available on a normal trombone without any lip trickery is a tritone (diminished 5th). As the A is in 2nd position, this reduces the possible slide to just a fourth.

Would it be possible to post a link to a picture of that part of the music so that I could see what is going on please?
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Question Re: Trombone Slides

How about three separate slides combined, overlapped and edited in such a way that the attack for the second and or third are blended some how? Maybe played on separate tracks?
    Just a thought.

I am very familiar with the musical having played percussion for a few productions. Interesting to see your results. Keep us posted and good luck! As a matter of fact, I may have a midi of this very song. I shall check tonight and see how the slide was handled.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Westwood
    I'm currently recording backing tracks for a local school production of 'Les Miserables'.
    Sounds like a big and exciting project, Ian. (I once sequenced the whole of "Oliver" for a school production.)

Are you sequencing the whole musical, or excerpts?
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaFlyer
    Sounds like a big and exciting project, Ian. (I once sequenced the whole of "Oliver" for a school production.)

Are you sequencing the whole musical, or excerpts?
    This brings about an interesting question as to just how many of us have sequenced full musicals.
    I know I have done several.
    Styxx

Even with the F key that slide ain't happening. It has to be E to A. The low E is in 7th position. Any further out and the slide falls off. The only slide from D to A is D3 to A2, down a fourth.

As for how to do it in GPO, I dunno.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Thanks guys for the quick response, I really didn't expect replies this quick!

From what has been said, it seems I am interpretting the music incorrectly. You can view the relevant few bars taken from the piano-conductor score at
    http://www.emtec.co.uk/public/upload/Tslide.pdf

I will remove it in the near future since it is probably not really legal to copy it. I took this to mean the tbn slides from the D to A, but perhaps you can tell me how I should interpret it?

The project is exciting for me, I did the whole of Joseph last year, and used bits of GPO. I must have done something right since they asked me again to assist this year. Since I do it for a hobby, this one is rather time consuming - 2 hrs 15 min of music! It is the official school version which is basically the full production with approximately one verse missing out of most of the songs.

Thanks for your help on this

Ian

Ian,

Obviously you are working off a piano reduction, but IMHO that isn;t a trombone slide. At that pitch, you're talking about a bass trombone which is even less able to slide up to an A even if it was in the same Octave.

I (and here I gladly will bow to anyone with more knowledge of the full score - I have never studied or performed Les Mis) reckon this is a Gliss played on Piano - which would lead nicely into what looks like a ragtime beer keller sort of number.

p.s. Just noticed your just around the corner in Dudley, it's nice to know I'm not the only GPO user near Birmingham.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Thanks for your comments Richard, yes it is good that the Midlands is represented by more than one. Hopefuilly the numbers will grow - I keep trying to promote GPO around the local area.

I just went back and listened to the original recording and in fact the trombone only slides from a D to an E. Now things suddenly get a lot easier!

Ian

You should listen to a recording. That's a real interesting part. I wonder if that is expected in the full score.

Go Back to forum