• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: About EWQL

Share/Bookmark

About EWQL

Hi,

I'm a big fan and heavy user of GPO, as many of you here (if not all of you? . I've been thinking about trying other libraries (don't call me traitor!) in order to extend my palette of available sounds, etc etc.

EWQLSO seems a goog competitor, it's all big anf fancy and all (and expensive). But I don't know... I heard a lot of demos of it and I don't know why, the samples seem all very nice and high quality and all, but there seem to be a kind of overall mechanical feel to them... Is it just me ?
    I know this is probably a lot more related to the way people write music and the the library than to the library itself. But I don't know why I have the feeling it also comes from the instruments themselves.... GPO demos all seem to be more breathing and have a more human feel to them...

I'm probably being totally stupid. I'd love to know what people here think about this.

Thanks a lot,
    Nino
    News & Music here.

Re: About EWQL

No, I think I agree with you here. In my opinion, dry samples tend to be up close and intimate - QLSO's "big hall" sound is very cold and lifeless, if you ask me (though it is very good when you need a cold and lifeless "big" sound). I'd imagine if GPO had the extent of chromatic sampling/multisamples and articulations as QLSO, it would sound far superior - it's already a close competitor.

Puts on kevlar vest, gets machine gun, and hides behind barricade for the impending war about to ensue.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Puts on kevlar vest, gets machine gun, and hides behind barricade for the impending war about to ensue.
    LOL!!! Cover me JB!!!!
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Smile Re: About EWQL

Ok, I've never said it outloud but here it is. I own both (ducks from barrage of items being thrown as boos and grunts fill the air). I owned GPO first. Used it alot. Like any gear junkie, found myself wanting more, and when the Gold group buy came along, I submitted to my primal gearlust. Now I have used both and they both have their strengths. I dont think that gold is lifeless sounding but I do have to say that GPO is IMHO, way more playable. Having basically all sustaining instruments under modwheel control is nice. Gold has some modwheel patches but their minimum value is nowhere near silent like GPO. Legato is ten times better in GPO. Dont get me wrong. I love Gold for what it is but if I had to have just one or the other, well, I'm guessing that GPO advanced will fill in the blanks that gold has left in it's wake as far as articulations. If the articulation list of GPOA is close to the original Gold articulation list. I think GPO would be the desert island choice for me. (I hope I didnt just spell something that describes the catagory of food a hot fudge sundae would fall into). As far as the demos of Gold sounding mechanical, remember that when you listen to them, a lot of the things you are hearing might be specific articulations like horn rips and string cresendos that are recorded that way at the sample level and therefore dont always fit the context of every piece at every tempo. I sure hope this doesnt sound like I'm bashing Gold because it is great also. But I seriously have found myself going full circle back around to GPO for it's expressive nature and playability. And where will you ever find support better than Gary, Tom, Joseph, Styxx, and all the other regulars that contribute heavily to the forums for all of us. Bottom line, I dont think you would be dissapointed with Gold, but with GPOA around the corner, I would certainly wait to see what it has instore before I spent three or four times as much on Gold. Hope this helps. Now will someone help me get these rotten tomatoes and eggs out of my hair.
    Last edited by EricWatkins; 04-05-2005 at 05:07 AM. Reason: spelling error

So it's not just me then
    Well I have an opportunity of getting up to a 60% discount on EWQLSO Platinum, not gold, from the GANG group buy. So I was wondering, maybe it's a great opportunity to complete what I have with GPO. But even with 60% off it's still around 940 euros (1100 USD), and it's still a lot of money. And honestly.. I kind of fear Kompakt a little bit (I own Stormdrum).

But Holly **** !! I didn't know about that GPO A thing ! What's it gonna be? And especially when will it be out ?

Anyway, my heart is with GPO for it's "alive" warmness it has, the ease of use, the great quality/price ratio which is obviously the best in the sampling world. Plus the fact that it's probably a million times less ressource consuming than EWQL I guess... (but I don't know for sure). But the thing is, like EricWatkins said, I'm a junkie and I want more, I want new sounds.

Anyway if I get a EWQLSO out of curiosity, there is no doubt I WILL get a GPO Advanced the first day it's out
    News & Music here.

For that money, if you really want to expand your sound pallette you may want to consider VSL's new Opus bundle - an incredible collection. As a GPO owner, you even get a discount for it.

Thanks Jc5 for the idea. Actually I don't know anything about VSL. I don't know how it compares to GPO or EWQLSO in terms of playability/ergonomy/sound quality. But judging by your comment it should be a bit expensive !

I'll go check it and consider it! Thanks a lot for the info.

Nino
    News & Music here.

Nino,

Another option is to get Kontakt 2. It includes a version of the VSL symphonic library designed for use with Kontakt, and you'd be able to use GPO in it as well.

Jeff

If you have Platinum then you can use the close mic set when you want less hall and more immediacy. As for the demos, I think they would be better served to show more variety. They chose the ones with a largeness of impact to them I suppose to get that wow factor, which is fine as far as it goes, but they don't really show the full range of the library.

Go Back to forum