• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Driest Piano Sample

Share/Bookmark

Driest Piano Sample

Just curious who's got it. Preferrably one that is mono compatible and Giga 2.5 or standalone. I don't care about resonance, release samples and such because I am looking for one I can use live.

Thanks

Ernie

Re: Driest Piano Sample

The wizoo vst plugin of The Grand features a setting for an anechoic chamber if I rememebr rightly.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    Just curious who's got it. Preferrably one that is mono compatible and Giga 2.5 or standalone. I don't care about resonance, release samples and such because I am looking for one I can use live.

Thanks

Ernie
    Check out our White Grand!
    This is what it was built for!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I was going to recommend White Grand, but I see it has already been volunteered by that crazy dog, Worra.

Just a note...release samples are actually still very good to have in a live instrument, if they are being used to model the string/damper behavior rather than being used as a granular reverb tool. The releases in White Grand, and actually very many pianos available are more about the behavioral aspects than the reverb.

Actually, the Black Grand also works very well live. Bardstown Audio's Bosendorfer is pretty dang dry, and works well in live settings. The Post Grandioso Steinway works well in some settings. The EastWest Steinway B works well in some settings. It is not widely available, but the Trachtman C is a nice live piano...if you were to e-mail Warren and talk very sweetly, you might get him to sell you a license.

You are correct to assume that the "wetter" pianos will not serve well live. They do not...they're ideal for some studio uses, but they get destroyed and washed out in a rhythm section setting.

When you say live, are you talking emulating Yanni or playing with a blues band ? I'm not talking solo cocktail piano, I need something that I can do Buffett and Blues with and fits with a Sound Canvas playing the backing track, possibly in mono. FYI, my system is stereo but because of practical considerations I can't always set up in stereo.

The budget is limited so I'll probably go with the WG Jr. first

Can it be upgraded to the full thing?

Ernie
    Last edited by ohernie; 04-04-2005 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Spelling

[QUOTE=You are correct to assume that the "wetter" pianos will not serve well live. They do not...they're ideal for some studio uses, but they get destroyed and washed out in a rhythm section setting.[/QUOTE]

I've determined a third problem along with mono compatibility and ambience and that is too much attack and not enough body. Many of the sounds I tried have a hard percussive attack, even at moderate velocities. I call it the Yamaha sound. They may work for classical pieces but played live the sound of the other instruments masks out the body so all you hear is the attack. In the live mix they become "tacky" and annoying as soon as they are loud enough to hear. Repetitive rim shots.

More FYI: I am currently using a PC88mx. The piano sound works but is weird, very weird. My testbed is a senior jam I host every Monday. I haul along a computer with GS2.5 on it and midi it to my SY99. The computer is controlled remotely via Radmin software on a laptop so I don't have to haul around a monitor, keyboard or mouse. It runs in parallel with my rig so I can a/b as I go along by switching to the SY99. So far I've had to go back to the PC88 every time. I'm on a budget but I've tried the Wizoo Grand, Studio Grand 88, EW Ultimate Grand, EW ProSamples Steinway, EW Bosendorfer and every "demo" and freeby piano I can get or convert. Most are acceptable at home but not at the gig. I also have the VintAudio piano's but I can't try them live until I upgrade the RAM. I'm asking here because I'm tired of buying piano samples that I will never use.

I want to go softsynth because I don't want to lose my sounds when I have to replace a keyboard.

Ernie

Too bad you don't have a Mac. I think Ivory would probably be great live.

Anyone tried it live yet?

I only use it in the studio but it is friggin' fantastic for me.

Wizoo had a great deal going recently, a closeout sale on the Wizoo Grand samples which are I believe taken from The Grand software instrument -the pedal-up samples are dry enough and the sound is very good.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by precisionsound
    Our Nordic Upright Piano is sampled in mono dry and suitable for external room processing. It's available in HALion, Kontakt and Sfz format.
    The piano is a Futura made in Sweden. Check our site for demos and information.

Best,

Lars
    Funny, I was just checking the demo's out yesterday and I liked the sound and price. I'm not sure if I want to go to another platform and now that I have walked through translation hell I'm not sure I want to try and convert them.

Why no giga verseion?

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    Wizoo had a great deal going recently, a closeout sale on the Wizoo Grand samples which are I believe taken from The Grand software instrument -the pedal-up samples are dry enough and the sound is very good.

Nigel
    Major frustration. That was one of the first ones I tried. Don't work in a band situation. I think (it's been awhile) that there were also some mono problems. I've been tempted to bite the bullet and edit it but I downloaded the big one so it wouldn't be a fun job.

BTW, I'm not happy with their pricing system. If you buy the big download it costs more than the CD but with the CD you get all the smaller sizes. Seems to me I should be able to download any and all of the sizes for that price. Spending $165 and having a sound I couldn't use and couldn't resell was a major lesson in sample economics.

Ernie
    Last edited by ohernie; 04-04-2005 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Corrected price

Go Back to forum