• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quartet for Flute, Oboe, English Horn & Basson Revisited (Atonal Offering)

Share/Bookmark

Quartet for Flute, Oboe, English Horn & Basson Revisited (Atonal Offering)

If you listen and think you have heard it before, this is not déjà vu. I posted the first movement back in early January and what I thought was a completed version back in late January or early February.

I was never happy with how I had ended it. It just wasn’t right.

I also wanted to make a short fourth movement but had little more to say on the theme (a 12 tone row which, I hope, I treated a little differently from Shoenberg, Berg, etc. - a little more accessible) I’ve been struggling for over 2 months to come up with a new ending.

For this, the final version (I hope) I changed the end of the third movement to bring out the reference to “Ode to Joy” a little bit more. (I have very specific reasons for using this, but I don’t want to say what they were. Yet.) I also added a short fourth movement. The fourth movement acts mostly to wrap things up. It ends on a major triad, which might seem strange for an “atonal” piece. I had very specific reasons for doing this, the same reasons I had for the reference to Beethoven.

I also put a little more space between movements which I hope opens it up a bit. In the last version I posted I was trying to stay under 8 minutes and so crammed the movements together.

Quartet for Flute, Oboe, English Horn & Bassoon

Hope you enjoy.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: Quartet for Flute, Oboe, English Horn & Basson Revisited (Atonal Offering)

I loved the unusual sonoroties of this Qtt.
    The Cor part instead of the more usual clarinet,gives the whole piece an interesting dark vibe,and morphs into the basson sound in a very beguiling fashion.
    I like also that you have avoided a lot of the "rural" music cliches associated with the w/wind Qtt form.
    Nice work!
    regards

Re: Quartet for Flute, Oboe, English Horn & Basson Revisited (Atonal Offering)

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    I loved the unusual sonoroties of this Qtt.
    The Cor part instead of the more usual clarinet,gives the whole piece an interesting dark vibe,and morphs into the basson sound in a very beguiling fashion.
    I like also that you have avoided a lot of the "rural" music cliches associated with the w/wind Qtt form.
    Nice work!
    regards
    Thanks! I had been playing with this combination to try to get a medieval feel (for some reason double reeds sound medieval to me) and liked it so when I went to write this quartet…

I guess I am lucky – I haven’t listen to enough chamber music to know the clichés…

Thanks for listening.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum