• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt 2, copy protection?

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt 2, copy protection?

Please tell me I am wrong. I read that Kontakt 2's copy protection will be to periodically insert the CD. IMHO-Piracy is stealing and whether you profit, steal for yourself etc. etc. I think it is wrong. But, I would rather have a dongle or anything other than insert the CD. It means you have to keep the CD around (as opposed to storing it in a safe spot) and it takes some time to read it to open the plug-in. They did that with B4. As a result, I write hammond patches with a different organ sound and only fire up B4 when I am going to burn to disk. However, I use Kontakt a lot..... don't feel like not using my libraries. So, I hope I am wrong and this is not the copy protection method they are using. Anyone know for sure?

Take Care
    Never wrestle in the mud with a pig.
    You both get dirty and the pig likes it.

Re: Kontakt 2, copy protection?

I hope that's not the case. BTW, if someone really wants to give their friend a copy of the B4 disk it can be copied. That means that someone out there can just as easily upload a disk image as they can a registration crack. I certainly hope their hardware registration scheme works well enough and they don't need to change things around. A disk check would be a big pain in the @ss, in my not so humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by kbaccki
    I hope that's not the case. BTW, if someone really wants to give their friend a copy of the B4 disk it can be copied. That means that someone out there can just as easily upload a disk image as they can a registration crack. I certainly hope their hardware registration scheme works well enough and they don't need to change things around. A disk check would be a big pain in the @ss, in my not so humble opinion.
    mmm... thats not totally correct. i have B4 and i noticed that there CP holes in the actual disk that should prevent this. Though theres tons of cracks of B4 around im sure and K2 wil be cracked soon enough. I just ordered my upgrade yesterday and I can wait to try it..Ive heard only good things so far.. Rich

I agree there are plenty of cracks around. I guess the paying customer is the one who suffers when an "insert original CD" screen comes on. I sure wish there was a better way (as I know this one doesn't work all that well.)

Take Care
    Never wrestle in the mud with a pig.
    You both get dirty and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Pell
    mmm... thats not totally correct. i have B4 and i noticed that there CP holes in the actual disk that should prevent this. Though theres tons of cracks of B4 around im sure and K2 wil be cracked soon enough. I just ordered my upgrade yesterday and I can wait to try it..Ive heard only good things so far.. Rich
    Actually, it is correct, because I did it. I hate the thought of having one copy of disk that you're forced to swap in and out, even if it's occassionally. Made images of all my expensive software, just in case. I'm anal like that.

I got an e-mail a couple days ago from NI saying they were shipping Kontakt 2 as part of my NI Komplete upgrade. The e-mail had a registration link, so I clicked it and it took me to the registration page. It seems to be the same registration format that they have been using, which is downloading a registration key.

Where did you read about the "insert CD" copy protection?

Looks like the same registration format to me too. Haven't seen anything asking for the CD yet (it has been installed for hours now).

"Insert a CD"? No way. I've been researching all the samplers out there for over 3 months and had totaly decided I was getting Kontact. But, "insert a CD"? Forget it, CDs go bad. Not only that but it's like going back to the Stone Age. The very first computer I owned, you had to put a 5.25" disk in to get the operateing system up.

The whole thing that got my attention for NI was that they had the least inttrusive protection sceme and I could put it on 2 computers.

Come on NI, say this isn't true. I'm not going to buy in untill I know for sure.

T.S.

Quote Originally Posted by T. S.
    Come on NI, say this isn't true. I'm not going to buy in untill I know for sure.
    I think you can relax, T.S. I think zircon_st would have been prompted if it were the case that a CD key was used. E.g., B4 asks for the CD the very first time you start it up. What rjt read must have been bad info. In any case I emailed NI about this to get the poop from the source. I'll repost when I hear from them, but based on what I've been reading around the 'net, I don't see any cause for alarm.

FYI - after applying the latest B4 patch you will not have to insert the CD again. They seem to have done away with that.

I can't say whether this is the case with Kontakt 2 (haven't received mine yet) but I really doubt they would implement ancient CP like this. That would definately be a step backward. This is the first I've heard of this.

fizbin

Go Back to forum