I have a few questions about adding a SATA hard drive to my existing set up.

The computer I want to modify has W2k, 2 gigs of ram, 2 7200 rpm Seagate hard drives, (40 gig for programs; 120 gig for samples). The CPU is an Intel 2.8 gHz processor and the motherboard is an 865GBF. I usually run Kontakt on this computer with EWQLSO samples and Stormdrum.

I want to add another hard drive. First there is a question of size. I have read that W2k will not accept a hard drive bigger than 137 gigabytes unless Service Pack 3 is installed on the computer. Is this true? Are there any pitfalls to this set up as a result of installing SP3? I am worried that the relative stability I have with my current system will be disrupted as a result of adding SP3. (By the way, this computer is never on line.) Has anyone had any bad experiences with adding service packs to their W2K set up?

I'd like to get at least a 200 gig hard drive and since my mobo is equipped for SATA and the prices for SATA are not much more than the the other drives, I should go for it.

I am assuming that I can add the SATA as a third drive from which I will stream samples. Will this co-exist comfortably with my other ATA drives?

What about SATA drives and heat? I have read that they emit a lot.

A summary of my list of questions:

Is it true that W2k will not accept a hard drive bigger than 137 gigabytes unless Service Pack 3 is installed on the computer?

Are there any pitfalls or annoyances as a result of installing SP3?

Has anyone had any bad experiences with adding service packs to their W2K set up? What was the fix?

Will a SATA drive (just for samples, not for programs) co-exist comfortably with my other ATA drives?

Thanks for your responses to any or all of these questions.

Marko