• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone have any advice on FW/USB 2.0 hard drives for audio?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone have any advice on FW/USB 2.0 hard drives for audio?

I'm looking to add some more storage for samples and audio recording without a major update to my PC hardware, and I've been told that external FW/USB 2.0 drives work fine for audio recording. Can anyone here testify to that? How is their performance with streaming samples? Another thing I'm concerned about is fan noise...how noisy are these things?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Re: Anyone have any advice on FW/USB 2.0 hard drives for audio?

Works fine for me with normal session information. I use a 160g Ice Cube firewire drive. I work off it from time to time, back up to it- mostly, and use it to transport my sessions to other studios for mastering etc.

My drive is not noisey. It's about 5 times quieter than my PC. I don't have any of my sample libraries on it so I can't comment about that. but it works fine in dealing with my session audio etc. Never had a problem.
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

Thumbs up Re: Anyone have any advice on FW/USB 2.0 hard drives for audio?

I've gravitated to the Lacie drives. They know when you turn on & off the computer and turn on/off respectively, which is nice - you don't have to reach around the back of the drive for a power switch. They even have an 800bps which work well with the G5, but the 400s work fine. I have several which I use for streaming samples (EXS24), recording audio, and Final Cut Pro. I've bought several on Ebay (new) and I'm very happy with them.

Jeff

I use a FW drive for backup and sound effects library storage and have no problems with it. if you have to choose between FW or USB, go with FW, it's much faster than USB.

Quote Originally Posted by mhuang
    I use a FW drive for backup and sound effects library storage and have no problems with it. if you have to choose between FW or USB, go with FW, it's much faster than USB.
    definately go FW.
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it!

Go Back to forum