• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Will the movies die a slow death too?

Share/Bookmark

Will the movies die a slow death too?

I've been thinking...

The music industry seems to be slipping into a slow but steady state of bankrupcy. (an obvious re-invention might save it) We've got free downloads, cracked CDs etc etc. Large studios closing down, and as a result, it's hard to deny there are cracks appearing in the walls.

Do you think people will always go to the movies?

Do you think the romantic notion of going out to see a flick with your partner, date, or your mates will remain throughout the ages, or do you think that because of increasingly sofisticated home theatre systems (and decreasing prices) people will start to vacate the seats of their local cinema?
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

Re: Will the movies die a slow death too?

I don't think it'll die down completely. Theatres will change and become more advanced.

It sounds like the next big push to get people back to the commercial theater will be the same as in the 50's-- 3D!!

http://www.fashiongates.com/magazine...-05-27071.html

Personally it takes a major event to get me out of my home theater and into a huge room full of obnoxious idiots and their cell phones. Sin City will qualify.

I FORGOT SIN CITY COMES OUT TODAY! YES!

I thought cinema is still doing fine with no dark clouds in close proximity yet. But whatever happens, people can't stay home "all the time"! Personally, I don't like to go to the theatres because I have a problem with the projection quality that cinéplexes are offering.

Not only Lucas but also James Cameron (Terminator/Aliens/Titanic) believes it's the future of cinema. And to show his enthusiasm, James Cameron is shooting his long-awaited new film "Battle Angel" (Alita) in the new 3-D format.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    I think that there isn't any real threat of the movie industry collapsing. The experience is difficult to reproduce at home without big bucks. Let's face it, the majority of us aren't making those big bucks.
    Not if you learn how. A very good quality front projector, 100" screen and 7.1 sound system can cost much less than a 50" plasma TV. In fact I have 3 times as much money in DVD's than the system I watch them on

Of course that doesn't change the fact there really isn't much danger of the movie industry collapsing tomorrow or any time soon...

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    Teach us oh wise one.
    Well, if you're strictly a DVD watcher and maybe some HD but it's not your primary thing you want this bad boy right here. It streets for around $1,200 and currently has a $100 rebate. It will put any plasma to shame and throws a picture 6 times as big for the price. Only downside- you need a dark room.
    You can DIY a great screen for about $50 or get one off eBay for a little more...

nope, I buy everything that I like if I have money, even I got it downloaded in my HD

there is one little easy question which goes through my mind:

in every school, on every lesson you learn ... or just a quick thought out of pure logic lets you know that if you sell something more cheap people will buy more and in the end the e.g. record companies make more money than selling their stuff so expensive.

why sell a cd for around 17-25€ ???

come on, if the bakery around the corner would sell their breads for 15€ a piece they would go down really fast.

so the easiest way for the record bosses is to blame everything on cracks and copies.

i wonder why everyone of those big~~~kers never asked anyone WHY this and that happened ??? it is just the result because people want it but can't afford it. so way pay when you can download it...

very easy thought.

i tell you: if companies would get their cd prices back to 10€ a piece i would definitely go to the shop and buy more cds and i guess they would sell much more stuff than now.

i heard that i-tune sold their 300 millionst song over the inet. so people are willing to pay, but not 17-25€ per CD ... hell!!!

and now they plan to sell cds without cover etc .. this is just too stupid.

... and again, i really don't get that people sitting on the boss-chair who have actually no clue of marketing.

look at EW or PMI doing the group buy for EWQLSO and the Pianos. I don't think they just "gifted" everything, ... on the other hand i think they didn't make a 100 year deal, but i guess they made some plus at the end at that is the most important.

now go back to the topic and think about movies. pay 10€ for a movie and 30e for a dvd ????

no, i just go buying 2nd-hand as long as these "well informated marketing strategic cool big i-know-everything-about-bizz"-guys are not able to check the situation !!!

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Well, if you're strictly a DVD watcher and maybe some HD but it's not your primary thing you want this bad boy right here. It streets for around $1,200 and currently has a $100 rebate. It will put any plasma to shame and throws a picture 6 times as big for the price. Only downside- you need a dark room.
    You can DIY a great screen for about $50 or get one off eBay for a little more...
    You sir *must* get an XBox2 when they come out and hook it up to that bad boy! Everythings gonna be HD low res minimum on that console.

Go Back to forum