• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does anyone have any recommendations for Monitor Headphones?

Share/Bookmark

Does anyone have any recommendations for Monitor Headphones?

My price range is up to two hundred dollars. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Re: Does anyone have any recommendations for Monitor Headphones?

For about $100 you can get Sony MDR-7506s or Sennheiser HD280-Pros. Both are closed and have relatively flat response curves. I auditioned these, as well as some AKGs and AudioTechnicas, and chose the Senns.

Overall, I find that the Senns sound flatter and more neutral to my ears, and the Sonys sound just a bit scooped with some high frequency boost. If your intent is to monitor, I'd recommend the Senns. If you will also listen for enjoyment, I'd recommend the Sonys.

My Senns have proven to be solid and robust. I used to own Sony 7502s, and after a while the pads fell apart. You can buy replacement parts for all of the above, so you don't have to worry about buying a whole new set due to wear and tear.

If you buy from a local store, you can probably audition these models as well. It's possible that the Senns would sould really dead to you, in which case you would want the Sonys.

-JF

Banned

Re: Does anyone have any recommendations for Monitor Headphones?

I second that recommendation. I used to use Sony 7506s a lot. When that pair died, I went looking for something else in the same price range, and loved the Sennheiser 280. Much more true-sounding, in my opinion.

- Stefan

Go Back to forum