• Register
  • Help

Topic: From MIDI-MockUps to MIDI-MockDowns - Getting Over MIDI-itis

Share/Bookmark

From MIDI-MockUps to MIDI-MockDowns - Getting Over MIDI-itis

Ha ha... Gary has given me the computer to write a little about Midi-itis as he is drying his head from the beer I poured on him for his ever lingering New York proclivity (trust me... I live in NY and he still has it) . .... alas he is young and oh so naive.

Definition:

Midi-itis: A strain of infectious disease common amongst electronic musicians. Especially those with a penchant for the orchestra.

Almost inevitably, whenever I do a live recording of my music or that of others that have been proceeded by a midi mockup, I get the comment "but it doesn't sound exactly like the midi demo" Well, thats true. And that will be the case with the wonderful compositions our composers have submitted. In addition to it not sounding just like the midi demo, there will be some great little surprises and some very subtle enhancements. So, in an attempt to vaccinate all of you from this horrid disease I urge you to listen with unbiased fresh ears.

In a way, we are doing not a midi mockup but a midi mock-down. We are taking a fully realized midi rendition and deconstructing it and putting it back together with a live orchestra. This means that each and every note will have the interpretation of a different LIVE player. This means that the reality of the composition will be displayed.

But here is the thing. We are coming full circle in a most extraordinary way. As I see it, tools like GPO are actually bringing us to a more organic state of affairs. Its bringing folks like us into the realm of reality. The beauty of GPO is that its not necessarily replacing the orchestra, its facilitating the journey towards the real thing.

Andy
    Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Re: From MIDI-MockUps to MIDI-MockDowns - Getting Over MIDI-itis

The beauty of GPO is that its not necessarily replacing the orchestra , its facilitating the journey towards the real thing.
    Exactly! Now Gary, maybe we should send a copy of this post to you know who!
    Styxx

Andy,

Thanks for the update. Good to hear you and Gary are doing well despite jet lag and all.
    I think we do have some great tools with us these days. I used to be a New Yorker and I still commute there for work. Perhaps we can hook up some time when you not busy flying around the world conducting

Sincerely,

Jonathan

Man, this is going to be an awesome opportunity to hear the mock-up, and be able to compare it to the results of a real orchestral recording session. I will definitely listen to the broadcast as much as I can.

Will the end results be available on CD? I'd love to have the full fidelity recording of both the mock-up and the mock-down, as well as a copy of the full scores.

And I'd gladly pay for the pleasure.

Being able to experience the whole journey (how about a DVD?) would be very enlightening, and well worth my cash!

-JF

Andy,

If you guys are able to record the performance, I'm thinking that we might actually make two Composer Channel shows out of it.

The first show would naturally be just the performance as is. However, after reading your post, I'm now thinking of also doing an additional show that plays the GPO version and live rendition side by side for each piece, so that people can hear an A/B comparison.

Do you guys think the second show would be worth doing, or would it be tedious for the listener to hear each song played twice in a row?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Andy,

If you guys are able to record the performance, I'm thinking that we might actually make two Composer Channel shows out of it.

The first show would naturally be just the performance as is. However, after reading your post, I'm now thinking of also doing an additional show that plays the GPO version and live rendition side by side for each piece, so that people can hear an A/B comparison.

Do you guys think the second show would be worth doing, or would it be tedious for the listener to hear each song played twice in a row?

Christopher,

This is a good idea. We'll see what can be done about the recording and pursue this idea.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan

Chris,
    I think that would be a great show, with both played back to back. Just my $0.02.

Well, hopefully by analyzing the differences between the real thing and the GPO versions, GPO can be made better.

A show with back to back GPO and live versions would be very interesting, I like the idea too!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I would love the back to back comparison. Wonderful idea!

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Perhaps Gary is going through a midi-life crisis.

Go Back to forum