• Register
  • Help

Topic: s/pdif chain?

Share/Bookmark

s/pdif chain?

Stupid question probably ~ If my two giga slaves both have cards with s/pdif in/out, could I link it together like so:

DAW to Giga1 to Giga2 then back to DAW? Should this work?

Thanks!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: s/pdif chain?

It depends upon what you are trying to accomplish. It probably won't work to get the signal from both s/pdif computers into the DAW. It WILL probably work to make the wordclocks all play nice, but I would probably lose the final leg back to the DAW in that case. If you want two independent streams, you probably need one more s/pdif i/o in the DAW.

Potentially, your audio interface driver software/mixer applet might let you mirror the s/pdif from input to output on the two machines, therefore allowing you to have both signals represented. You'll just have to check it out. In that case, you'd need the last leg back to the DAW.

Ah crap, that's precisely what I wanted it for...

Thanks again Bruce for your help.

You can use a video splitter box - an active one - to get two S/PDIFs, since video also works at 75 Ohms. I hate to keep sending you to Radio Shack but they make one for about $45.

The one I use is a really fancy rack one with four 1X6 paths and all kinds of stuff. Way overkill, since I only need three S/PDIFs (because the WaveCenter cards in my PCs only have S/PDIF in, no word clock).

I bought it on ebay for $30.

Aaron, have you considered the FX Giga Teleport drivers and a modest gigabit switch? It's made things really easy for me, and opened up some options as far as separate bus setups for different instument groups over 2 GS machines back into an SX computer. It took a little while, but all the wrinkles are sorted and its been working perfectly for quite a while now.

Correction: a video distribution amp is what it's called. Not splitter.

http://search.ebay.com/video-distrib...omZR40QQsojsZ1

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGraybill
    Aaron, have you considered the FX Giga Teleport drivers and a modest gigabit switch? It's made things really easy for me, and opened up some options as far as separate bus setups for different instument groups over 2 GS machines back into an SX computer. It took a little while, but all the wrinkles are sorted and its been working perfectly for quite a while now.

LOL

GigaTeleport is basically a virtual soundcard driver that you install on GS machines, which routes the output audio digitally over a fast network back into SX, where it has a VST plugin that recieves the data as though GS was running within SX. You can create multiple stereo returns feeding from each GS computer back into SX, so your not getting all your instruments as just a single stereo input in Cubase. Separate EQ for different instrument groups, fx, etc

You can pick up a Gigabit router for about $100 or less, Gbit network cards if you need are about 30 each, and cables are very cheap -just network cable. It carries midi data from SX to GS over network, returns multiple channels of audio from GS to SX over network.

Dunno if it would be of great interest, but it is worth considering for sure. Here's the website, click on GigaTeleport:

http://www.fx-max.com/

Go Back to forum