• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Sony PSP

Share/Bookmark

OT: Sony PSP

All I can say on this, is wow. I really love this little device. The games (so far) are fun, and it's easy to get music transferred over to it (although videos are more of a pain).

Anyone else playing with one of these yet?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media
    www.moondogmedia.net

Re: OT: Sony PSP

No, but you can buy me one if you like.

No? Looks like I'll stick with my trusty Game Boy Advance then.

The PSP is an absolutely amazing device. I've been developing a game for it for the past 6 months so I've been dealing with it for some time now. I've been really anticipating its release so that I can finally talk about it with people and play games with others. The thing about this device is that from a game development standpoint, it puts us composers in a unique position. Never before have gamers experienced our music on such an intimate level as with a PSP and headphones. With consoles, it's always been subject to tv speaker quality, home theater setups, wrong connections, etc. The PSP is pretty much a controlled environment.

Sony really knocked this thing out of the park. Wait till you see some of the games currently being developed for it.
    -Jamey

as much as it looks cool, I really think that Sony should have kept the price within the $199 range.

I mean, I already have a handy dandy laptop to play movies and play games on in the plane. My understanding is that the PSP's battery life isn't much better than your average laptop one either (about 6 hours at best).

I'm also waiting for them to release more games that interest me. While I am sure that a PSP is in my future, I can wait until the next holiday season for one.

Incidentally enough, I have a meeting with Sony next week.....do you think they might hook me up?
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Jamey - how are you delivering those audio files? mp3/wav? Or some proprietary PSP format?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media
    www.moondogmedia.net

The streaming capabilities of the system are really messed up unfortunately. It's a real challenge to develop for as there are surely comprimises that need to happen. The streaming format is Sony's Atrak3 compression. I'm currently delivering in this format, but I'm trying to muscle some support from the developer for more of an interactive music engine which I will then probably switch to a combo of Atrak3 and RAM loaded VAG assets.
    -Jamey

Go Back to forum