• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Breath or Wind Controllers

Share/Bookmark

Breath or Wind Controllers

Just curious after reading the "editing samples" thread... Who is using a breath or wind controller on a regular basis?

If so, what libs are you mostly using the controller with and what midi data do you typically manipulate?

Ive been curious about them for a long time.

Thanks,

Scott.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Re: Breath or Wind Controllers

I'm also interested in this - thanks for bringing it up, Scott!

Me too , my keyboard has a BC in and i always imagined some of the QLSO Woodwind DFX programs (assigning the BC to the CC#1) could be really smooth for swells etc..also what would be a good BC to get ? Rich

I use an EWI, but it's all but hardwired to a Yamaha VL1 - not sample libs.

I know a guy in LA who successfully uses breath controller on his samples exotic flute collection. I think he mostly patches it over to control the expression. There use to be an interface that you can place between the controller and a synth or sampler. I don't know whatever happen to it though.

I'll do some research.

The guy's name is Fred Seldon if you're interested in looking him up. He's a LA session ww guy who specializes this.

Cheers,

Jose

In addition to asking here about windcontroller use, you might ask a windcontroller group (groups.yahoo.com/groups/windcontroller) about sample use.

I, by the way, use a Yamaha WX5 with a Yamaha VL70m (the VL1's little brother).

CHIP

Found this article on windcontrollers. Biggest draw back I see is the inability to play different velocity layers. Apparently, you set velocity sensitivity to 0 so that it's always a maximum then you adjust the amp envelopes to respond to a continous volume control data. So it's like playing a f or ff patch, but the volume can go from 0 to 127.

Pretty confusing. Can anybody else make any sense out of it?

http://www.ibiblio.org/emusic-l/info...llers-FAQ.html

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

It all depends upon how you want to set it up, Jose. It's different for every case. VSL legatos, for instance, work well. They're one velocity. The wind controller is no panacea for samples. In Reaktor, on the other hand, you can get just stupid with a Wind Controller. Sky's the limit, there.

You would probably do well with one. They are great for strings and winds. It's amazing what putting your innate (and highly trained in your case) wind into the mix as an expressive component. It changes everything. But you do have to dig into the samples and the programming, and customize them, if you want to really get a lot out of a wind controller.

I am hot and cold with mine. Sometimes I can't be bothered, others, I just sit and waste hours on the thing. I'm a trumpet player, so my chops on it are always under construction. Still, it's just amazing how wonderful it is for a horn player to hear expression that sounds like he actually played it. It really makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    It all depends upon how you want to set it up, Jose. It's different for every case. VSL legatos, for instance, work well. They're one velocity. The wind controller is no panacea for samples. In Reaktor, on the other hand, you can get just stupid with a Wind Controller. Sky's the limit, there.

You would probably do well with one. They are great for strings and winds. It's amazing what putting your innate (and highly trained in your case) wind into the mix as an expressive component. It changes everything. But you do have to dig into the samples and the programming, and customize them, if you want to really get a lot out of a wind controller.

I am hot and cold with mine. Sometimes I can't be bothered, others, I just sit and waste hours on the thing. I'm a trumpet player, so my chops on it are always under construction. Still, it's just amazing how wonderful it is for a horn player to hear expression that sounds like he actually played it. It really makes a huge difference.
    man, really

Thanks guys, what about a breath controller? No one using one? I remember reading that Jeremy Soule uses (or used) one.

Thanks for the link Jose.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Go Back to forum