• Register
  • Help

Topic: The DJ is here ... HUH?

Share/Bookmark

The DJ is here ... HUH?

Yeah, the DJ is here for tonight’s dance. He told me he has his instruments, "two turntables." I missed something here during my years as a musician. Turntables? Since when is a turntable an instrument, because of scratching? I asked him if he took up an instrument during high school or possibly he is in college right now for music? Answer - "don't need no school to play the tables cool!" So, what other instruments do you play? "Ah, whatdaya mean? ... this is it!"
    OK, later....

I want to sign up for Turntable 101 in our GPO composer Academy.
    Styxx

Re: The DJ is here ... HUH?

Well... I do imagine there is a certain amount of skill involved with learning how to master ('playing') the turntables. Just like anything else, really, when you think about it. Not that that makes them equivalent to a master of the violin, but I'm sure its not something anyone can just walk up and do.

Thumbs up Re: The DJ is here ... HUH?

Well then I guess we won't be hearing anymore "drummers aren't musician" jokes anymore.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Yeah, the DJ is here for tonight?s dance. He told me he has his instruments, "two turntables." I missed something here during my years as a musician. Turntables? Since when is a turntable an instrument, because of scratching? I asked him if he took up an instrument during high school or possibly he is in college right now for music? Answer - "don't need no school to play the tables cool!" So, what other instruments do you play? "Ah, whatdaya mean? ... this is it!"
    OK, later....

I want to sign up for Turntable 101 in our GPO composer Academy.
    Yeah...that was my reaction the first time I heard about "playing turntables"...but then my son set me straight! He plays guitar (some brand of metal..."death metal", "post-modernistic industrial vegan metal"...hell, I don't know, can't keep up).

But his band occasionally jams with a turntable player who uses turntables fed into some effects units to mix in sounds in a "musique concrete" fashion...it's more than just scratching. I've never heard it, but my kid was impressed.

Talking Re: The DJ is here ... HUH?

I have to say I was impressed to see him working them as well. But when he boastfully asked me to give it a whirl I accepted. Played one turntable with the left hand and beat a pulse with the right hand on his microphone! Good thing no one else except the gym teacher was there. Just setting up he was and checking his sound. Dance is tonight but I have a show to do later so not going to be there.
    We laughed and he joined in on the other table. It was cool. (I'll never do that again.)
    Still, DJ's are not musicians.
    Styxx

"two turntables."
    And a microphone? (ok Beck fans rejoice!! )

Styxx, were you around when I posted about the Turntable classes at Berkley? THere was a turntable concerto written... and I wanted to get a turntable in GPO: Avant-Garde Edition. Even talked to Tom so we could figure out the programming and controllers for it.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=15271
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Still, DJ's are not musicians.
    Interesting - define "musician", I bet you can't word it so that all "real" musicians are included, and DJ's aren't!
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

I have great respect for true turntablists. It's a very rhythmic style of playing and comping with a necessary ear towards pitch of the playback (or at least contrasts thereof). Extremely technical stuff: only nimble-fingers need apply!

Then there the people who play one track on one record, then cross-fade to the other track on the other record. YAWN!

On my list of instruments to learn: double bass, tenor sax, turntables.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Thumbs up Re: The DJ is here ... HUH?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Interesting - define "musician", I bet you can't word it so that all "real" musicians are included, and DJ's aren't!
    Exactly, Drummers?

Musician - A person skilled in composing and performing music, especially a professional.
    New College Edition - The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.

Regardless, it turns out he only DJ for about an hour. After which, he came to my office and we talked a bit about the whole concept. His rhythm is quite keen and we touched a bit on different patterns. He was quite interested in how he might be able to incorporate them in his turntable playing. And we talked DJ equipment, which we also had a lot in common. I did my share of DJing in the 80's and 90's. But that was a whole different ball game. Today I think they have to be more entertaining than we were. Cool kid! We're going to keep in touch and do a few lessons on rhythms.
    Styxx

The sad thing about all this is that it boils down to "do you want to work, or do you want to be an out of work musician"... Some guys I know became DJ's because of this... And definitely, the guys that include beatboxes and sampling programs along with the records, actually have to work, so it's not like, it's just playing CDs... And as has been mentioned, there are bands today in which a dj is one of the members... So, inasmuch as I'm not happy about it, these guys are here to stay...

Go Back to forum