• Register
  • Help

Topic: Staccato? How to incorporate?

Share/Bookmark

Staccato? How to incorporate?

Just curious i'm new to GPO and I'm working on an accompanamant for for me as a tenor soloist (La Donna E' Mobile) and would like to know how to use staccato for strings. I can't seem to get to playback right. I keep seeing CC#1 and CC#17 and so forth in many forums and its all greek to me. How do you get it to play back as staccato. I can do the legato parts just fine. Does it have to do with modifyng how notes are played? if so how so? Thanks in advance.

Re: Staccato? How to incorporate?

This is the sort of question that is best answered if the user has a MIDI keyboard because he/she can actually play the keyboard while modifying the various controllers and instantly hear the effect of each. Staccatos, spiccatos and other short bows can be accomplished with these:

1. Short bow instruments
    2. Higher note velocities for faster, more accented attacks
    3. The use of cc21 (length). Smaller values give shorter notes.

Combinations of these can yield a wide variety of short bow articulations. Experiment. Also, don't overlook the shortbow keyswitches which give access to automatically alternating up and downbows; forced upbows; forced downbows.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    This is the sort of question that is best answered if the user has a MIDI keyboard because he/she can actually play the keyboard while modifying the various controllers and instantly hear the effect of each. Staccatos, spiccatos and other short bows can be accomplished with these:

1. Short bow instruments
    2. Higher note velocities for faster, more accented attacks
    3. The use of cc21 (length). Smaller values give shorter notes.

Combinations of these can yield a wide variety of short bow articulations. Experiment. Also, don't overlook the shortbow keyswitches which give access to automatically alternating up and downbows; forced upbows; forced downbows.

Tom

thanks for the info! I unfortunatley don't have keyboard so I've found a different way to do it through modifying the duration of the notes
    (ctrl+Y). It works pretty good for now. I still need to experiment with things. With a family its tough to get time to work but when i do; I'm proud!!!!

Actually, you just reminded me that I left out the most important ingredient:

4. Note length

But you figured that out!

Tom

Go Back to forum