• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: BASIC MUSIC THEORY - GOOD STARTING POINT

Share/Bookmark

Arrow BASIC MUSIC THEORY - GOOD STARTING POINT

Check this out, if anyone wants to know the basics of music theory:

http://www.musictheory.net/

There are lessons, exercises, and ear training. It is well suited to the beginner.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: BASIC MUSIC THEORY - GOOD STARTING POINT

I downloaded the offline version. Pretty cool.

Thanks,

Jose

Very cool. If anything, just to print out staff paper. But very helpful.

Why is it that all these people with music backgrounds go into computer programming? I thought Miliken, where Ricci went, has a good music theather and business program?

Sincerley,

Jonathan

I think Music may be ahead of the curve on education, which is bad for those with just a Bachelor's. Most Universities require at least a Master's degree now, and they prefer a Doctorate.

That is why by fall semester 2006, I will be getting my Masters somewhere come hell or high water.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Jess,

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    I think Music may be ahead of the curve on education, which is bad for those with just a Bachelor's. Most Universities require at least a Master's degree now, and they prefer a Doctorate.

That is why by fall semester 2006, I will be getting my Masters somewhere come hell or high water.
    You lost me. I guess my question is; 'If Ricci has a great background, from a school like Miliken that has the programs I mentioned above, why programming?

sincerley,

Thumbs up Re: BASIC MUSIC THEORY - GOOD STARTING POINT

This is a nice little refresher! Thanks for posting.
    Styxx

Thanks. THis is a really useful site.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP
    Jess,

You lost me. I guess my question is; 'If Ricci has a great background, from a school like Miliken that has the programs I mentioned above, why programming?
    Maybe becuase the pay is better ;-)

Thumbs up Re: BASIC MUSIC THEORY - GOOD STARTING POINT

This may mean not much to some but I always had a problem remembering ledger lines above and below the treble and bass staffs. A professor taught me that I would always know what the three are above the treble staff because they spell the word ACE. Subsequently, the same goes for below the bass, ACE. Sounds elementary and maybe it is but I never have a problem anymore.

Just for grins.

I have the students checking this out now. Thanks for the post.
    Styxx

If you have students, I highly recommend Practica Musica (if you can still find it).

It is a piece of software which is an excellent Theory tutorial.

A friend of mine (who has her doctorate) teaches piano and all of her students have to complete Music Theory lessons. It just makes them better players.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum