• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sound Forge 8 heads up....

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Sound Forge 8 heads up....

Just a heads up folks…

I upgraded to Sound Forge 8 the other day. It requires that v1.1 of the Microsoft .NET framework be installed . I saw no mention of this prior to purchase (but I just clicked “order” assuming nothing like this had changed – it may be on their site somewhere.)

Just FYI…

…2112
    P.S. It might be worth it for the Scrub tool
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Re: Sound Forge 8 heads up....

It is listed in the "Sound Forge 8 System Requirements" (who ever reads those!!):

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...FeatureID=8067

This is also a requirement of Acid Pro 5. I believe the Microsoft.net is required so Sony can install the "Media Manager and associated Media Library", which is a searchable "database" (SQL Server if I remember correctly). In Acid this allows you to search (query) loops to find them more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    Just a heads up folks…

I upgraded to Sound Forge 8 the other day. It requires that v1.1 of the Microsoft .NET framework be installed . I saw no mention of this prior to purchase (but I just clicked “order” assuming nothing like this had changed – it may be on their site somewhere.)

Just FYI…

…2112
    Brian,

What's your impression of Sound Forge 8? I was thinking about upgrading too. I've already got CD Architect though, do you think the other improvements are worth it? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    Brian,

What's your impression of Sound Forge 8? I was thinking about upgrading too. I've already got CD Architect though, do you think the other improvements are worth it? Thanks.
    Other than the onslaught on my registry by the .NET stuff, I think this is a good upgrade. For me, ASIO and VST support were locks (plus the scrub tool). Sound Forge is a very important tool for me so it was definitely worth the 99 smacks. (You can upgrade for $99 for a short time). I previously had CD Architect as well so that was no big deal (the only new thing really is CD + Text - and maybe a little tighter integration with SF). Despite the .NET intrusion, I still think it was worth it (well, for a SF upgrade anyways ). Just make a system restore point before install...LOL!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart

Hi Brian!

Did you upgrade online? from Sony's site?

Quote Originally Posted by xav93
    Hi Brian!

Did you upgrade online? from Sony's site?
    Hi Xavier!
    Yes I did...online through Sony.

Exclamation Re: Sound Forge 8 heads up....

just a note to folks wanting to upgrade to SF8, there is a few ANNOYING bugs straight out of the box:

- Channel Converter - Introduces HEAVY cliping if you don't choose "Convert to specified output channels only".
    - everything is slower! and the program frequently stutter when zooming into a waveform when that waveform is playing.
    - Batch converter - Can't turn off the "displaying the conversion process" option, which makes the process 5X slower....

It would probably be best to wait till the first patch to update.
    just my $0.02

Where do you find the link to the $99 upgrade?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tunesmith
    Where do you find the link to the $99 upgrade?

Jim
    It was sent as an email...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]

Just FYI…

…2112
    A scrub tool? Coooool

Don't like the Microsoft-fascism though.

Go Back to forum