• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Favorite Pasttime song question

Share/Bookmark

OT: Favorite Pasttime song question

OK fellas,

I have another off topic question for you to ponder. My wife and I were at the store yesterday and she decided that she wanted some Cracker Jacks. OK, fine. On the way home, the tune, "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" pops into my head. I start singing it and my wife interrupts, asking, "Why would they want Peanuts and Cracker Jacks, when Peanuts are in Cracker Jacks?!!" Oui!

Any ideas, except of course, that they just wanted a freakin' bag of Peanuts to go along with the Cracker Jacks!

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: OT: Favorite Pasttime song question

Peanuts were not included as part of Cracker Jacks till sometime in the late fifties, early sixties. Besides, everyone knows your lucky if you can find more than two peanuts in a whole box of crackerjacks. Plus, a prize used to be something you could actually play with like a clicker, or toy soldier. Now, because of government regulations solid toys are prohibited for safety and health reasons. I think you get some sort of comic story in them. Haven't had a box in quite some time.
    Anyforwhateverreason, this is what I remember from when I was a wee little lad who wee wee wee all the way home.
    Styxx

I recently had a box of crackerjacks, and the prize was the funniest thing I ever saw... It was a piece of paper about 1 inch square with a picture on it. The instructions to this "game" were something like this:

"Drop this piece of paper and see if your friend can catch it!"

Sadly, I am not making this up.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I hear ya!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    I recently had a box of crackerjacks, and the prize was the funniest thing I ever saw... It was a piece of paper about 1 inch square with a picture on it. The instructions to this "game" were something like this:

"Drop this piece of paper and see if your friend can catch it!"

Sadly, I am not making this up.

I miss the days when they had things you could play with in the prizes. I guess I can appreciate them wanting to make things safer,but really, no more toy soldiers or compasses? or rings? or fake tattoos? The same goes for cereal box prizes too - and heck, even Happy Meals. sad sad sad.

Making sure things are safe reminds me of the old SNL skit with Jane Curtain and Dan Akroyd where he is selling children's toys. Jane is interviewing him about the safety of his products. One of them is the "Bag O' Glass". If you haven't seen it, it is very very funny.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum