• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: TI Powerbook performance

Share/Bookmark

TI Powerbook performance

Hello everyone. My name is Cornel, and I'm a new GPO user. This is my first post, but I've been reading up on everything I get my hands on, especially on this forum.

Quick question: Is anyone using a 1Ghz TI powerbook with 1 Gig of RAM? If so, what kind of performance are you able to squeeze out of it? I'm using DP 4.52, very small studio and high buffers, and I'm loading 6 solo string instruments (not KS) and 5 sus+short sections. I'm having trouble playing even 4 simultaneous parts with all instruments loaded. So in effect, only 4 of the loaded instruments are playing single notes per instrument. I was hoping to at least get basic strings going. Any ideas or feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Cornel

Re: TI Powerbook performance

Hi Cornel, welcome to the forum. You can find great help here. Your problem is not unique, so don't feel helpless. I too use GPO and DP 4.52, and you should record your individual instruments to audio tracks, or another way is to freeze the instrument. This is the same thing as recording to an audio track. For instance, once your 1st violin part is done, record that to an audio track, then mute the midi track. This will considerably reduce CPU and ram useage and then you can continue to make a huge orchestra. If you decide later that you want to edit the 1st violins midi track, you can unfreeze that 1st violins track, rework it, then refreeze it.

dpDan

Unfortunately, your machine is at the low end for effective GPO use. I had a 1GHz Al PowerBook when I first got GPO. Some other things to try:

-In Energy Saver->Options->set performance to 'highest'
    (I'm not sure if it applies to the TiBook, if you don't find this pop-up menu then don't worry about it.)
    -turn off unneeded services (airport or other networking, etc.)
    -quit all applications except DP
    -in DP, set your studio size no larger than necessary...MAS allocates RAM for each audio voice, whether it's in use or not, and you don't have much to spare.
    -in GPO, set the polyphony for each instrument to the minimum required. If for example, you are just playing a single line with each sus+short section, set polyphony to 2 or 4, maybe 6 if you go into divisi occasionally.
    -Consider using instruments from the older version of the GPO library. These can co-exist with the newer update version. I just kept my old 'dry' instrument folder and re-named it 'eco' - the update has some great programming, but it comes at the expense of a heavier CPU load.

good luck!

Brian

1GHz Titanium PB with 1GB of RAM.

Busy/sustained parts = maybe 3-5 instr. before clicks and pops and poop-outs start to happen.

Hi - I too have a TI book. Mine is 667 mhz wtih 512 mb of ram. It is really tough to get much out of this - but I have succeeded.

I know you are probably settled into DP, but until you get a beefier machine, might I recommend another DAW?

Tracktion
    by Mackie, is a FANTASTIC DAW. It has many of the features the "big boys" do, it can do unlimited audio and midi tracks, unlimited number of plugins and filters per track (well, limited by CPU, but really - mine lets me add quite a few before pooting out), allows freezing, works PERFECTLY with GPO, and is just an all around great app. PLUS it is CPU and Ram friendly. Right now it is just $80. Version 2 is coming soon, and the upgrade path is nice.

I can get about 18 instances playing all together before I get pops and drops - and when I do I just freeze a track to free up more CPU and add more.

If I can get that from MY machine, imagine what more you can get?

If you are using GPO studio with DP, not sure why, but just saying, you can lower sample resolution in GPO Studio and raise the buffer. This will allow you to get BETTER results (though lowering the resolution too much degrades the audio somewhat, so experiment.)

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Thank you to all who offered insight.

I've done most of the streamlining you guys talked about, and I'll take a look at Tracktion. I was hoping to stick with DP and be able to get at least 4 instruments playing together without overloading the CPU before freezing, although I can't imagine how Jerry's getting 18 instruments out of his 667 machine. Are we talking strings here? Like I mentioned before, I'm trying to use 4 sus+short sections.

Thanks to all.
    Cornel

Quote Originally Posted by cornel
    Thank you to all who offered insight.

I've done most of the streamlining you guys talked about, and I'll take a look at Tracktion. I was hoping to stick with DP and be able to get at least 4 instruments playing together without overloading the CPU before freezing, although I can't imagine how Jerry's getting 18 instruments out of his 667 machine. Are we talking strings here? Like I mentioned before, I'm trying to use 4 sus+short sections.

Thanks to all.
    Hey Cornel,
    I used to use Cubase SX, but found that I couldn't load more than 3 instances of GPO without problems - that is why I switched to Tracktion.
    In Tracktion, I can load 18 instruments all playing at the same time. (I have reduced polyphony and these are NOT piano, harp or pizzicato instruments.) If I could get GPO Studio to play nicely with Tracktion, I could get even more. (because I can reduce the sample resolution and such in GPO Studio, whereas, in Tracktion GPO as a VST works the best - but not alterable.
    Listen to my ballet selections -
    HERE
    these were all done in Tracktion.
    I didn't have to freeze tracks on any of the selections listed. Granted, they are rather light in orchestration, but have full compliment of section strings (mostly lush or sus+short) along with a few other instruments like glockenspiel, chromatic harp (lite with only 8 polyphony) and flute etc..

I did have to freeze tracks for some of the bigger and more orchestrally complex pieces in the ballet, but for the vast majority of the time, freezing wasn't required. I have learned a few tricks on how to eek out the most with the least.

There are some great tutorials by Eric Endres (Shazbot) for Tracktion HERE
    It really has been a life (and powerbook)-saver for me.

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Hey Cornel,

I lied - the Ballerina music box has a frozen track in it (darn Glockenspiel )
    But, for the sake of being specific to your concern,
    I just did an experiment just for you.

I took a short midi file I created in Finale, put it in Tracktion,
    set up the GPO VST, edited some CC data, and played. I rendered (i.e. "bounced") the file to disk, and then converted it to mp3 in iTunes.

I loaded String sections:
    Vlins 1 Sus+Short in track 1
    Vlins 2 Sus+Short in Track 2
    Violas Sus+Short in Track 3
    Cellos Sus+Short in Track 4
    Basses Sus+Short in Track 5

AND though I usually don't add reverb until after I have bounced the final mix to disk (rendered), I went ahead and added Ambience (Ballroom 1) playing through the master VST plugin!

The CPU MAYBE went to 60% max. A Good 25% of that comes from using Ambience.

Here is the result: No drops or clicks or anything like that.

Tracktion String Test

Hope this helps.

I am absolutely positive that DP is a fine product - a really great MAC product, given you have the machine for it. I just know that Tracktion is the only thing that has worked for me and my very limited resources with CPU, Ram, and heck, MONEY! You can download the demo of it and see for yourself!

Cheers,

Jerry Wickham

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Hi. Jerry, thanks for your examples. I haven't tried Tracktion yet, I've had very little music time in the last week. I changed gears a little and I was able to get 3 solo violins, 2 violas, 2 cellos, and a bass to play fairly ok, as well as an instance of Ambience. Will try Tracktion as soon as I get a chance. I kind of like the smaller ensemble sound for this short project, though. Later.
    Cornel

Quote Originally Posted by cornel
    Hi. Jerry, thanks for your examples. I haven't tried Tracktion yet, I've had very little music time in the last week. I changed gears a little and I was able to get 3 solo violins, 2 violas, 2 cellos, and a bass to play fairly ok, as well as an instance of Ambience. Will try Tracktion as soon as I get a chance. I kind of like the smaller ensemble sound for this short project, though. Later.
    Glad you were able to get some better performance and still use DP by the tweaking. I know the frustration, believe me. You wouldn't believe the hoops I had to go through doing my contest piece in cubase SX with this little laptop.

I liked Cubase, but I need more power to run it. I like DP, but need more power to run it. Tracktion really seems to be the only thing that works for my limited resources. But more than that, its interface has really grown on me - everything is in one window.

Good luck with everything. Let us know how things turn out.

Jerry Wickham

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Go Back to forum